Our Love of the Rose
Rose Garden at Wickham Park
What is a Rose?
A rose is a woody perennial of the genus Rosa within the family of Rosaceae , of which there are over 100 species. Some are shrubs, and some climb and trail. They can grow up to over 19 feet, and usually have sharp prickles on them.They are beautiful, and come in many different colors, shapes and sizes.They flower from June to September, and most of them are fragrant. The flowers are hermaphrodite (containing both male stamen and female stigma), and they are pollinated by bees.
Most species are native to Asia, and many are native to Europe, North America and Northwest Africa.
Roses in arts and crafts: Check out these two articles for beautiful rose projects
- How to Make a Duck® (Duct) Tape Rose
Roses are the perfect gift — for birthdays, anniversaries, Mother’s Day, thanking readers upon the publication of one’s 50th Hub on HubPages. If you present a Duck Tape® rose to someone, the recipient will have a lasting remembrance of the occasion.
- Unique Gifts: How to make Easy Paper Rose Flower
Make this year Mother's Day a special day by making your own handmade gifts for your mom. Handmade Paper Rose Flower is easy and can last all year. It is inexpensive and lovely too.
What are Roses Used For?
- For ornamentation, as in gardens or potted plants
- As a gift of love and affection, in the form of a bouquet or potted plant
- In art, such as paintings, drawings, sculptures, ornamental architectural elements, stamps, and photography
- In the form of perfume, rose oil, or rose water
- In cosmetics
- In cooking
- In medicine
- As symbolism in religion
Recipes for Frosted Rose Petals and Rosehip Syrup
- Frosted Rose Petals Recipe
Turn your rose petals into a tasty and decorative addition to your deserts by frosting rose petals. An easy recipe using only two other ingredients readily available in the kitchen, this frosting easy recipe will not only look great but is totally ed
- Katey’s Rosehip Syrup recipe | The Cottage Smallholder
For more on the health benefits of everything rose, check out Rajan Jolly's article:
- The Health Benefits Of Rose, Rose Water, Rose Oil, Rose Hip Seed Oil And Rose Tea
Rose has captivated lovers and poets alike. But did you know the rose provides a host of health benefits as well. Read about the health benefits of rose, rose water, rose oil, rose hip seed oil and rose tea...
In addition, he has an article on Gulkand, a sweet preserve made of rose petals.
The Rose's Symbolism:
- The rose has long been used as a symbol of love and beauty.
- "Rose" means pink or red in a variety of languages.
- Ancient Greeks and Romans alike identified the rose with the goddess of love, Aphrodite (Greek) and Venus (Roman).
- The phrase "sub rosa", or "under the rose", means to keep a secret. It was derived from the ancient Roman practice of placing a wild rose on the door of a room where secret matters were discussed.
- Rose of England: the rose is the national flower of England
- In Alberta, Canada, the wild rose is the provincial flower.
- In 1986, the rose was named as the floral emblem of the United States of America.
- Also in the USA, 4 states have the rose as their state's flower: Iowa, North Dakota, Georgia and New York.
- "City of Roses" is Portland, Oregon's nickname, and holds the annual Rose Festival
- Pasadena, California holds the Tournament of Roses Parade in conjunction with the Rose Bowl
Roses in Food and Drinks:
- Rose hips can be used in jams, jellys and marmalades
- In France, Rose Hip Syrup , made by pressing and filtering rose hips, are widely used. In the USA, this French syrup is used to make rose scones
- It's used to produce Rose Hip Seed Oil , which is also used in some skin and makeup products
- Rose petals or flower buds are sometimes used to flavor tea, or else combined with other herbs to make tisanes
- Rose flowers are sometimes used to flavor or add scent to food. Candied rose petals are also a nice visual treat, sometimes used to embellish desserts
- Rose Creams , rose-flavored fondant covered in chocolate and often topped with a crystallized rose petal, are a traditional English confectionary
Faith Has A Beautiful Article On Flowers That Have Love As Their Meaning
- Flowers With Love As Their Meaning ~ Poetry Forms (Trilinia And Haiku Poetry)
A natural and beautiful way to express the sentiment of love is to send flowers, especially those with their meaning of love. Please enjoy the lovely trilinia and haiku poetry included here.
What are Tisanes?
Tisanes are also known as herbal teas or herbal infusions. They consist of a mix of dried fruits, herbs, and sometimes flowers. They are appealing for their taste, as well as for being caffeine free.
They can be brewed as tea, or else added to tea leaves, creating an aromatic blend of tea.
Roses throughout a Rose GardenClick thumbnail to view full-size
Roses in Medicine:
- Rose Hips are a rich source of vitamins A, C and E, minerals, and flavenoids. It's a good source of essential fatty acids
- It's used in herbal and folk medicine, and in Chinese traditional medicine
- The flowers (and even the roots and leaves, to a smaller extent) may help regulate menstruation and stimulate blood circulation in women
- Flower buds are used to treat poor circulation, stomach pains, and swelling
- The leaves, fruits and roots are also used to treat arthritus, boils and coughs
- The fruit can be applied to sprains, ulcers and wounds
Roses in Religion and Socialism:
- Roses are associated with the Virgin Mary
- The red rose has been adopted as a symbol of the blood of the Christian martyrs
- In Iran and the surrounding areas, the rose is a prominant part of their geometrical gardens
- Jilani, the Sufi master, is known as "The Rose of Baghdad", and the Qadiriyya (his order) use the rose as its symbol
- The emblem of Islamabad Capital Territory in Pakistan is the rose
- Roses are associated with both St. Valentines Day (known as Valentines Day in modern times) and St George's Day
- On Valentines Day, it is typical to give roses as a gift to a loved one
- Many countries celebrate St Georges Day. In Catalonia it is also known as El de la Rosa (The Day of the Rose) or as El dia del Llibre (The Day of the Book). It is celebrated on April 23rd. Historically, men give women roses, and women give men a book to celebrate the occasion- "a rose for love and a book forever"
- A red rose is a symbol of socialism or social democracy
- A World War 2 non violent resistance group in Germany was referred to as "The White Rose"