ChristinS profile image 95

What is the best product to block air leaks from gaps in older windows?

We live in a very old house and replacing all the windows is not in our budget right now. Several of them are drafty in the winter. We've tried those window sealing kits, but it's as thin as plastic wrap, looks bad, is easily torn and doesn't do much to help. We were looking at acrylic film and that's almost as pricey as replacement windows. Any frugal ways to seal windows that doesn't look bad, is cost efficient and actually works? Winter will be here before we know it!

arksys profile image91

Irfan (arksys) says

• arksys profile image

Irfan (arksys) 21 months ago

And don't be shy with it. Use your fingers to squeeze as much as you can in the gaps. I used it on an outdoor crack in our cemented wall. dont have any more seepage from the monsoon rains.

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 21 months ago

we have radiant heat, but an old chimney in the attic and I never considered that could be an issue too, so I'll definitely look into that as well. thanks

B. Leekley profile image86

Brian Leekley (B. Leekley) says

• ChristinS profile image

awesome, I'll look that up as well. :) thanks

connorj profile image80

John Connor (connorj) says

• ChristinS profile image

Regular caulking didn't do a very good job and it's kind of hard to work with. I think I'll try the silicon version around the more problem areas. We have a lot of wind and our worst windows are large and south facing so light. Thanks.

JON EWALL profile image47

JON EWALL says

• ChristinS profile image

thanks for the suggestion. I never thought to take a pic of the windows with us - good idea.