jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How to sharpen a knife with a honing steel?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years ago

How to sharpen a knife with a honing steel?

I'm thinking of getting a honing steel to keep my knives sharp.  Are there tips on how to use one effectively?

2. ChefTools profile image57
    ChefToolsposted 8 years ago

A honing steel is a very useful tool. You will need to slide your knife on it at a 20 degree angle on each side 5 - 10 times and then againd switching sides every time. It does take a bit of practice, but after a few times the process takes only a few seconds. You can use a honing steel as much as you need, even every day.

3. profile image61
    truparad0xposted 7 years ago

A honing steel does not sharpen knives.  It aligns the edge of the blade so it cuts effectively.  A sharpening steel or stone would sharpen a knife, and a well-maintained knife in a regular household kitchen would probably only need sharpening once or twice a year.  You can hone as needed which can be a couple times a month or daily depending on how often you use your knives.

My brother works in a meat department and hones their knives daily.  Their knives are shipped out biweekly for professional sharpening.

ChefTool's answer on how to hone is correct.

4. mlesniewski profile image70
    mlesniewskiposted 7 years ago

You may want to invest in a good bench stone to re-sharpen your blades.  A sharpening steel is good for a quick touch up or edge alignment, but for the most part they dont remove any metal to get a true sharp edge. 

There are several stones to choose from on the market everything from oil stones to high end japanese water stones.

If your not used to sharpening on a stone the best to start with is an old fashioned oil stone.

Hope this helps.