jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you turn a house in to a home?

1. Bercton profile image60
    Berctonposted 7 years ago

How do you turn a house in to a home?

2. mepperly profile image68
    mepperlyposted 7 years ago

You turn a house into a home by filling it with items that represent you and your Family.

It is important even when renting a home to make changes that will make it your home, with permission from the owner you can paint, repair and clean to make it yours.

Hanging pictures, both of family and friends and art work make it more personal.

Visiting tag sales and thrift stores can bring up some great finds for decorating.

Look in decorating magazines for styles that you like and copy them.

3. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

What a magnificent question!  In addition to mepperly's response, I'd say a home isn't a sterile place where one might be afraid to sit or touch because everything is arranged so perfectly that it lacks character. A messy, busy home is OK since you know the occupants are living and working in their home. The chaos of doors closing, dogs romping through the living room and empty coffee cups gives a home life. In contrast to a home, a house feels empty even if it is furnished and pictures hang on the wall.  A house is a home waiting to be discovered.

4. profile image53
    SpaceAgeposted 7 years ago

my view of turning a house in2 a home is by making it as much like those in a magazine as possible. also, having favorite items around that u like helps make a house a home. i like my home peacefully quiet w/o chaos. my home is my safe haven where i discourage unannounced visitors. i try 2 avoid answering the door 4 unexpected visitors. i also don't give my whereabouts 2 strangers, & i stay quiet 2 keep low key. i keep neighborhood kids from loitering in my yard, & i hate when they show up & bounce those balls against my house. this is how windows get broken. when they show up, (rarely) i kindly ask them 2 leave, & they do. i rent my home, & i don't need any1 causing damage (i have a gr8 LL). he apprecia8s when neighbors get along peacefully, & we live in a quiet neighborhood anyway. we like it quiet around here, & we all blend well