jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Can a portable air conditioner's exhaust be left in the room it's cooling down?

1. profile image47
    Rah Tedposted 7 years ago

Can a portable air conditioner's exhaust be left in the room it's cooling down? Ground floor...

room rental does not allow for window units or holes in wall.

2. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

Sorry, you're out of luck.  If you run that in a closed room, the room will get even hotter because of the heat energy of the unit running.  I have seen some advertised that are free standing and with a big flexible tube that can be run someplace else.  Into the hallway?

3. skgrao profile image73
    skgraoposted 7 years ago

No Exhaust are left inside, Any Air Exhausts will be always outside the Room.
    What room,What Ground Floor I do not know.

4. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago

No!  This defeats the whole purpose of the AC unit.  The heat is removed from the air by the AC unit and normally exhausted outside.  By not exhausting the hot air outside you are gaining nothing and adding more heat by powering a fan motor and compressor. 

These portable AC units have flexible ducts for exhausting the hot air out of a window or through the floor.

5. profile image0
    Bradley Chappleposted 7 years ago

Some of them have an exhaust "tube" that you can run through a carefully-placed hole in the wall, or with a window adapter.  However, the one that I own is totally self-contained... although I am not sure how that works.

6. onlygrace profile image60
    onlygraceposted 3 years ago

I agree with Randy. Portable AC are made to be movable, however this kind of air cooling unit still work like ordinary AC. They need to suck air from the outside through the vent hose, and cool the air with freon inside the body itself, then it blow away the cool air with the fan. Just want to remind you that in the process of cooling the air, there are residue of hot air that need to be blown away through the hose. If the hose you put in the same room that you want to cool, the hot air will also accumulate in the same room. Your room will never be cooled, instead it's getting hotter

7. etaCarinae profile image77
    etaCarinaeposted 3 years ago

Absolutely not. It will end up heating up your home as well as cooling it down, for a net effect of zero change. You need the outside, so the waste heat can be delivered to the environment. If you want an air conditioner inside your home, check out the portable handheld air conditioner - http://pinstor.us/2014/04/30/portable-a … hand-held/

working