jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are there any drawbacks or risks I should know about before I Scotch-Guard my ne

1. Road Trip Amy profile image60
    Road Trip Amyposted 7 years ago

Are there any drawbacks or risks I should know about before I Scotch-Guard my new couch?

I recently get a new couch from Pottery Barn -- it's got a canvas slip cover and is a light color.  I'd like to Scotch Guard it to help avoid stains, but I've never done that before and wondered if there's anything I should know before I start spraying...

2. Rochelle Frank profile image93
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

Yes, you will have to warn any visitors from Scotland to not come near it or else they will be automatically repelled and ejected from the vicinity of the couch. This can also happen to anyone who is drinking Scotch, using Scotch tape, wearing plaid or playing bagpipes. The Scotch Guard is intensely serious in protecting against anything that might suggest Scotchness.
    ( Sorry, I obviously don't really have an answer for you...And please excuse the silliness... Scotch Guard always does that to me.)

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Lol, Rochelle smile As someone who is Scottish by birth, I resemble that answer smile.

I haven't heard of any risks with it...

4. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I Scotch Guarded a suite that was covered in pale coffee-colored velvet.  Like you, I was really worried it would stain but it was absolutely fine.

I was so glad I did, too - six months later, I had a party and a guest spilled an entire glass of red wine all over it!   I just soaked it up with paper towel and it all came off, with no stain whatsoever.

I do suggest you spray a less noticeable patch first - say, down the bottom at the back - just to be on the safe side.

Closed to reply

working