jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How late in the season will tomatoes grow outside?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

How late in the season will tomatoes grow outside?

Our tomato plants are still producing tomatoes in October. When will they stop?

2. ErinElise profile image76
    ErinEliseposted 7 years ago

My tomato plants are also still producing.  I just picked a bunch about an hour ago and there are still several green ones and some that aren't quite red yet.  I think it depends on the temperature where you live as to when they die back.

3. BRIAN SLATER profile image88
    BRIAN SLATERposted 7 years ago

Hi, mine look identical to yours Paul- tomatoes will grow in to the autumn, unless there's a frost. Plants when they start dying back will try and put all their energy into reproducing, particularly if you are still feeding them. Whether the tomatoes will ripen and go red is debatable, mine are still green, but we live in hope.  If you have a green house you might be lucky and get them to ripen in there. But with the shorter days upon us you look like frying your tomatoes in a green sauce lol

4. tmbridgeland profile image83
    tmbridgelandposted 7 years ago

Tomatoes will continue to grow and make fruit until a heavy frost. You can extend the time by throwing a sheet of clear plastic over them, it keeps them warm at night, and makes it warmer during the day too, so they keep on growing and ripening. You can actually bring many veggies indoors and keep them by a sunny window. For tomatoes it has to be really sunny, but other veggies don't need as much.

5. villanueva21 profile image76
    villanueva21posted 7 years ago

Dude, the best season to grow any kind of vegatables is right after winter and ends at winter! those are the best months to grow OUTSIDE. If you want in winter, then you would have to grow in doors.