Can you tell me the advantage of steel 2 x 4 over wood 2 x 4?

1. profile image46
    urbonasaposted 7 years ago

Can you tell me the advantage of steel 2 x 4 over wood 2 x 4?

A contractor and carpenter are doing work for me putting in a frost wall. It doesn't make sense for me to use a steel 2 x 4 because it conducts heat (cold). Wouldn't wood be a better choice?

2. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 7 years ago

The benefit of a steel stud, in addition to durability, is the ability to deter pests like termites and carpenter ants.  Additionally, it reduces the chances of getting mold, however; you can still get mold on your dry wall.  Steel studs are also created straight weight, which reduces your chances of not getting an identically weighted stud every time, unlike wood.  Lastly, a steel stud will help ground your structure if struck by lightning.

3. kowality profile image60
    kowalityposted 7 years ago

It really doesn't matter what you use. It's all about how the wall is sealed. Steel studs are use more in commercial buildings because they are not load bearing. A wood 2x4 is.

Steel studs have nothing to do with grounding your structure. That is taken care of by lightning rod outside the structure.

Steel of course will not mold because they are galvanized. Kiln dried studs on the other hand are nice to work with and usually are very straight. I will always pick through the pile and find the best studs if I don't need to many.