This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

can i plant a branch with dwarf apples on it--upside down in the ground?

1. profile image46
    nellie vieposted 7 years ago

can i plant a branch with dwarf apples on it--upside down in the ground?

my dad's dwarf apple tree is still alive, but he is not. he had a green thumb and could easily answer this, but if i just have a branch with some apples my mother in law told me it might grow ifi plant it upside down. she said it may grow if you just plant it upright as well and take care of it. or would it be better to plant some actual seeds?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I think your mother-in-law is suggesting that the branch may root if you plant it.  The only tree I know that will strike roots if planted upside down is the willow.  I doubt that your apple will strike roots now though it is worth digging a trench about 6 inches deep, filling it with sharp sand, clean any ragged bits of the base of the branch, set it in the trench and water it.  Leave it until spring, if it starts to shoot, you may have got it, don't disturb it, leave it until the following spring.  If it then shoots, dig it carefully out of the ground and pot on or dig a hole where it is to be sited.  Oh, remove the apples that are on it now and eat them.  Growing apples from seed isn't a good idea, they won't come true, and apples from seed can take as long as twenty years to flower and fruit.

working