On rare occasions I have clients with small budgets. They hire me to find a few

1. profile image50
    snowfallposted 7 years ago

On rare occasions I have clients with small budgets. They hire me to find a few things for them, and

then they decide to buy the rest of the things they need on their own.  They keep asking me for where to shop for lighting, fans, etc. I've directed them to a couple of websites that sell hundreds of brands, but they keep asking for other stores in the area. I don't want to give away my resources. How do I kindly tell them that without coming across rude?

2. Gail Doby profile image68
    Gail Dobyposted 7 years ago

That's a common question. People will ask until you say no.  So...here's what I'd suggest.  Get really clear about your ideal client and then only work with them.  Second, if you do want to work with smaller clients, offer a service that provides a fee for access to your resources.  Then you get paid even when you're not doing the purchasing...it's a win-win.  Explain this up front and name the service like Your Company Name Secret Design Resources.  Since consumers have so much access online, it's best to let go of the control of purchasing. Besides, that's the biggest area for headaches, and ultimately the lowest profit margins for the greatest amount of work.  I hope that helps.  Are you following our blog? http://www.DesignSuccessU.com.  See you there, too.

working