jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can a plant continue to grow from being watered with nothing but coffee?

1. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 7 years ago

How can a plant continue to grow from being watered with nothing but coffee?

2. wychic profile image91
    wychicposted 7 years ago

It depends on the type of plant, but some really thrive on the acidic nature of coffee. Bear in mind that brewed coffee has a very high percentage of water, so for the right plants coffee can be a superb soil conditioner.

3. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 7 years ago

Hey wychic, thanks for your insightful answer! I never thought that coffee may even *help* the plant thrive!

4. Ari Lamstein profile image82
    Ari Lamsteinposted 7 years ago

While I don't have the answer to this question, I do wish that I had the ability to suggest that someone (for example Ren) answer it.  I hear that he is an expert on topics like this. 

I would also like to see someone answer with a Hub.  I think that pictures and graphs - and perhaps even video - would really help answer a question like this.

A Hub like that would really go a long way to showing how Hubs are a great way to answer questions.

5. Ren Chin profile image84
    Ren Chinposted 7 years ago

Indeed, some plants thrive with more acidic soils. i wrote a hub about using coffee grinds in the garden ( http://hubpages.com/hub/Coffee-grinds-in-your-garden ).  Plants such as hydrangeas and blueberries love a soil with a pH that is more acidic.  You should also keep in mind that coffee is over 95% water, which plants like.  agua es vida.

Additionally, certain fungus, like mushrooms can actually grow out of coffee grinds alone.

working