This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can a plant continue to grow from being watered with nothing but coffee?

1. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 7 years ago

How can a plant continue to grow from being watered with nothing but coffee?

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

It depends on the type of plant, but some really thrive on the acidic nature of coffee. Bear in mind that brewed coffee has a very high percentage of water, so for the right plants coffee can be a superb soil conditioner.

3. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 7 years ago

Hey wychic, thanks for your insightful answer! I never thought that coffee may even *help* the plant thrive!

4. Ari Lamstein profile image81
    Ari Lamsteinposted 7 years ago

While I don't have the answer to this question, I do wish that I had the ability to suggest that someone (for example Ren) answer it.  I hear that he is an expert on topics like this. 

I would also like to see someone answer with a Hub.  I think that pictures and graphs - and perhaps even video - would really help answer a question like this.

A Hub like that would really go a long way to showing how Hubs are a great way to answer questions.

5. Ren Chin profile image84
    Ren Chinposted 7 years ago

Indeed, some plants thrive with more acidic soils. i wrote a hub about using coffee grinds in the garden ( http://hubpages.com/hub/Coffee-grinds-in-your-garden ).  Plants such as hydrangeas and blueberries love a soil with a pH that is more acidic.  You should also keep in mind that coffee is over 95% water, which plants like.  agua es vida.

Additionally, certain fungus, like mushrooms can actually grow out of coffee grinds alone.

working