Should we continue to investgate the CIA for torture tactics?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (62 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image70
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

The latest investigation into the tactics employed by the CIA in obtaining valuable information is a volatile issue.  Is it one we should pursue?

1. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No.

1. Pelosi knew about it while it was going on.

2. The detainees were not subject to the rules of the Geneva Convention because they were not dressed in uniform and they hid in churches, hospitals, and schools.

3. Prosecuting the CIA agents is a violation of their civil rights since they were acting under orders and they cannot be charged ex post facto.

rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are we not accountable for our own actions?

Yep, we are. We are accountable for keeping ourselves safe when people fly planes into our office buildings.

Silly question. It's not OK for them to leave IEDs for our servicemen to drive over and it's not OK for them to hide snipers in mosques to shoot at our servicemen. It's not OK for their leaders to chant "Death to America" and it's not OK for their leaders to threaten to wipe out our entire population.

Answer the question if you can.

I can, but it's not a yes-or-no answer so you'll have to stay with me.

If you ask me, I'd say "no, of course not."

If you ask a terrorist, they'd say "Yes, of course."

See? It's a little more complicated than you think.

Not really.  Just reverse the answer.  To counteract an action you cannot become a part of the problem.   You merely escalate the problem.

I am not saying you are a terrorist all I am saying you cannot claim to be better than one.

The CIA did its duty and performed the task at hand.  Did they get carried away and over indulge their duty?

Our answer to this question must be traced back as far as it can go to the source. There in lies the answer.

Was it the duty they performed?  Or was it the region they were in? Was it the situation they found themselves in?  Where did it start?  Who could have averted the beginning of it?  What gains could we recieve from beginning it?  What part did we play in starting it?

Going to the end and saying that this was needed to be done has to be asked what was needed to be done to avert it.

2. profile image57
            wonderkattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry slick but there were no Iraqis on those planes. Bush attacked them, they didn't attack us.

Precisely,  no Iragis but just about all were Saudis.  Bush could never bite the hand that fed him.  If we are to trust the CIA after the 911 intelligence disaster how good was the intelligence they gathered.  Oh by the way WE attacked Iraq and led the terrorists to carry the fight into their country.  I guess the moral ground is a lost cause with you.

I never mentioned a nationality. I never mentioned a particular country. oops!

Major League Baseball?

See above.

Good enough for me. Guilt by association is a weak argument on your part.

Your morals seem to favor the terrorists who attacked us. Ring them up the next time you need intelligence gathered.

2. nicomp profile image61

My apologies dude, but I didn't mention any nationalities. Nice try.

My morals favor mankind and my actions towards them.  The militaristic view of us and them has a tendency to continue violence and destruction and if you can't see that your outlook promotes just that I feel very sorry for you.

You don't need to feel sorry for me. I sleep better at night knowing that we can meet force with greater force in the name of protecting our freedom.

Freedom isn't free. It comes with a high cost. If you prefer to lie down and let the tanks roll over you, I respect your decision. Just don't look for me next to you.

You are a really tough guy.  I applaude your faith in the ability to carry on such a secure feeling knowing people are after you.  I would have thought you might be a tad nervous with the way your government protected you on 911.  Remember the very guys you are vouching for are the very ones that let you down, The CIA and the Bush administration.

2. profile image57
        wonderkattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1. whether pelosi knew about it or not it was wrong.

2. The detainees were never proven to be terrorist. they had their human rights taken away on lies and suspescions. No proof in a court of law. remember innocent until proven guilty?

3. the cia agents went beyond what was prescribed for even the "enhanced interrogation" they were not acting in Ameria's interest they were simply thugs and tortourers. they need to have the corrupt cia member taken out of the agency.

True, but if she tacitly approved it at the time, then we have no case against the agents.

You have muddled the constitution with the rules of counter-terrorism. I can't help you in this context.

Be sure to phone up the Mossad or the KGB when you need your best interest looked after. I'll stick with the good guys.

3. Ernie profile image59
        Ernieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who would you suggest be prosecuted then?

Nobody.

No Body.

No one.

I suggest that no one be prosecuted. I completely support the notion of letting the whole issue drop. My apologies to the families of the agents who we trust to keep us safe. They have all suffered enough. Let them do their job.

2. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

When the Twin Towers were hit, the Mood in washington was go get these SOB's. Wake up; We did what we were "told" to do and are still doing that, for america today. And now we are being slapped down for doing our jobs well, like we should have.

These were crimes of "war" against the United States, and we have every right to find out how, why and if there is more on the Horizon. To ask a question like this is a joke. Not only yes, but hell yes, we are allowed to protect ourselves. And we should and dam well better.

Torture does indeed work, and despite hs political bull-shit, (He's up for re-election) Mcain knows full well, His first Hand experiences from the Hanoi Hilton.

And Yes, weaker minded people will indeed say anything to stop it, If your are being broken down mentaly, some cave in faster, some never do. Some can not take the pain or the fear. Thats why it works and works well. ALL COUNTRIES USE IT, and most without humaine barriers. The Us will stop and draw a line, it does not mame or murder during the interogation acts. Try saying that of North VietNam, or Pakistan, or frigin Russia or Hamas for that matter.

As for the rest of it does not work arguments..., the information has to be verified once it is given, and if it is false it is found out almost immediately. So yes, let them babble on. There will be false testimony, it is expected.

Because, in between the flase statements some facts about places, like, what they look like, the buildings there, the ground topology of the land etc.. it comes out, and is helpfull to find the truth, if in fact that person was ever really there.

used with other information, for or against it helps clarify the truths and falshoods, it seperates it out, and it is valuable.

I have traveled to Dam many years with CTI for the Embassy working in Electronics, and also with the Military to know it really does work. Thats why it is the Arsenal. It is proven, and when you get to that point, to interogate and seek info, it is way past the time for having general discussons. Or Coffee!

Travel, experience and learn, then pose this question?

and I am sorry to be so mean spirited here, I am just tierd of this kind of eclectic two minded foolishness. Your question is probly valid, if we were going to far for no reason, or in-humaine. But that is not the case here, we are doing what is necessary, with real time rules and limits imposed with penalties if we go further. 

Look at those men after interogation, no maming, no defaming, no surgery to repair of broken limbs or worse. No castrations etc..

The US has indeed made its mistakes, but they were never continuous and always done that way. We have our share of wrong, and I accept we did those things and they are wrong. But they are not done all the time, every day. There are no procedures in place to teach in-humanity.

Those prisnors have there senses, are upright and walking, fed clean, bug free, non poisionus food off a menue, allowed to worship as there Faith demands, allowed to see a Doctor and have medicines and even are given US lawyers, even though they comited acts of War and Terror and espionage against the US.

That, Good person, is much more than any US Sholders, or agents, or captured diplomats and civilians have ever gotten around the world, with very few exceptions. It is so much more.

this question frustrates me, from what I have seen in my lifetime experiences. The talk in this thread is not accurate, to what I have seen, and I feel to post my objections strongly.

Thank you.
      Jon

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well gee, then we need to use torture for everything then.  We need no court of law, just torture the suspect and save the tax payers money.  I do wonder where some of you guys get your statistics about deaths and mutilations caused by torture.  Was this information public knowledge?

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
          dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have requested it, and was told, yes, but to limited information, like the rules, and such but not the specifics of a confession, they will not share the secret details of that. information given had the reports of the processes and rules. I believe it was the same most of the Journalists get when they request it.

As for Law?

Where does it say that foregin born Men and Women who commit acts of War against the US, have rights to US Law. They are granted by legislation by our Goverment, to Pursue protection for the accused, a right to trial. And we do follow all the laws. If we did not they would not even have Lawyers! You will not get that in a Foregin Country.

Torture is a tool for use to deter Bazar crimes and Behavior, it is not a way of life, nor will it be. Stop being Loose with your atatements, or assumptions. I or anyone with sense is not proposing a world with Torture as a way of life. That we agree on.

It is there Under law, to be used in exceptional times, Like attacks of War. Thats the only use for it. And everyone with sense knows that. No society needs it in everyday life.

Read what I said, not spin it into something for yourself.

It is both ways. We are allowed to Purse, Investigate and find the Truth, They are allowed to defend themselves. It is a Court matter. and in some practical Truth, A World Court matter.

But the exagerations in this thread are not correct.

We are not a Nation of Torture and should never be allowed to be, but...we can reserve the right to use it to defend our Borders. Yes we should use it, no we should not waste time Investigating an Agency that is doing what it was told to do.

I will get off this soap box now!
          Thanks
          Jon

2. rhamson profile image70
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

The CIA is being called on the carpet for torturing suspects and prisoners to help combat the war on terrorism.

Does it really work?  Recent discussions with Israeli interrogators revealed that torture is of no use.  A person who fears harm will tell you what you wish to hear to prevent any farther torture.  They found out that suspects react with much more truth when they can further their security for them and their family.

3. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Some people would rather score political points than keep our country safe. Some people see those who sacrifice to protect us as the enemy rather than those who sacrifice to kill us. Some people want to pretend the fact that there are evil people in the world who live to do the greatest number of us the greatest harm is something that can be downplayed, ignored, or played with like some Jr High debate club topic.

We've tried that attitude before. We know what it leads to.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

We absolutely should investigate the CIA's treatment of prisoners. More important, we should work our way up to the top and pursue the people who authorized the illegal CIA activities--Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Gonzales, and all their henchmen. Depending on the results of the investigation they should be tried as criminals which they appear to me to be.

Nope. We already know what happened. Pelosi knew what happened and even she condoned it.

The agents and their families have suffered enough because a few ner-do-wells got water poured up their noses.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're blaming Pelosi? Get real!

5. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Why would we investigate those charged with collecting the information we need to protect ourselves? If you want to wring your hands over mass murderers getting water poured on them be my guest, but keep your delicate sensibilities from hamstringing men and women who give everything to keep us safe!

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It has been proven time and time again that torture does not work. Even John McCain says those being tortured will say anything just for it to stop.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that may be true sometimes but the head of the "Bin Laden" unit of the CIA has said that valuable info was taken from these sessions of water boarding that led to the halting of terrorist acts.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My understanding is that they provided information before they were tortured, but they refused to implicate Saddam Hussein in 9-11 so the CIA was ordered to torture them until they tied Iraq to 9-11.

2. nicomp profile image61

It needs to stay in the arsenal as a last resort.

John McCain also said Obama wasn't qualified to be president. Then he kind-of said he was.

7. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

The problem with torture is it has no controllable limits.  We MAY stop at waterboarding but that would just be our rules.  How far do you go if other nations condone this type of behavior or even worse. 

Those of you who condone it--Would it be okay to torture a small child in front of it's parents to gain information you suspect might be helpful?  Who decides how far to go?  I had rather take the high ground.

I think I can kind-of live with that argument. But if I take it to a logical conclusion, should we open the doors at Gitmo and let 'em all go free because confining them against their will is a form of torture?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, but they should have trials as soon as possible and jail the guilty and let the innocent go free.

1. profile image0

These people were taken off the battle field, its a good chance they are guilty.

It is my understanding some were snatched from the streets or were snitched on because of a grudge of some sort.  "A good chance they are guilty" kind of gives me a bad feeling since the torture tactics were exposed.  And if the waterboarding worked so well why did they have to do it to sheik whatshisname over a hundred times?

The fact that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is held up as a 'victim' in this nonsense indicates that it happened infrequently.

No one is calling him a victim...he was showing that torture does not work.

1. profile image0

What is the basis for for this "showing it did not work"? I believe the head of the Bin Laden unit when he says that with this clown it did work!

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

He WAS a victim of torture unless you happen to like simulated drowning and sinus pain.  Whether he deserved it is another matter.  But my question was "If waterboarding is so efficient why did they have to do it over a hundred times? (do you know how many times?)

2. profile image0

He deserved it? I got no sympathy for any of them. I have seen these scumbags up close and personal! I have a heart of stone as far as Muslims in general are concerned.

Well, I hope you can separate most Muslims from the terrorists among them.

1. profile image0

I am nolonger in the business of having to determine which ones are terrorist and which are not, now I just hate them all! Thats my problem and I deal with it.

The Holy Crusaders felt the same way.  They would sometimes slaughter a whole village of Christians because they were dressed like Muslims.  Oops, their mistake.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Nope, just the guilty ones!

2. profile image0

Do you think that might ever happen, really?

Well Tex, I never thought we would condone torture at all, much less sub-contract it.

1. profile image0

Im of the opinion what we did was not torture, they want torture give em 12 weeks of Basic at Parris Island, thats torture!

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Not all of them.

9. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I don't condone torture. I don't condone hurting any other people at all. But I won't get in the way or speak up against anything that prevents another 9/11. Full stop.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)