jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My grass actually is totally dry white and spreading in my side yard. It acts li

1. profile image50
    audie gooposted 7 years ago

My grass actually is totally dry white and spreading in my side yard. It acts like fungus but...

it's dry and white and spreads a few feet per week.It seemed to start at the beginning of winter here in the southern calif area. I've never seen this before.

2. guzie profile image59
    guzieposted 7 years ago

Very possible you have some sort of fungii or grass fungus.  Usually caused by too much water or overcrowding of trees, shrubs or plants.

It can also come from a lawn mower that was used for mowing someone else's lawn that has this fungus.  Lawn fungus can spread very easily from one lawn to another.

Maintenance landscapers need to clean all equipment with soapy water before continuing on to the next lawn.

Dig out a good clump of this grass and take it to your nearest nursery or greenhouse.  They should be able to tell you what the problem might be. 

Do NOT take it to the nearest big box store as they usually have inexperienced employees.

3. jetta17 profile image59
    jetta17posted 7 years ago

It sounds like it is a fungus, as suspected. Although I am not sure of the type, I might have a natural cure for you before you go buy a fungicide.

Most yard fungus can be wiped out with the simple application of a thin layer of compost, working it well to make sure all areas get a even layer. Make it thin enough so that your grass is not smoothered. Another route is to apply a couple of waterings with compost tea. Apply to affected and non-affected areas. Within a couple of weeks, the fungus should be completely gone. A good trick is to slightly reduce the amount of water your yard is recieving as excess moisture is fungus breeding grounds. Good luck to you.

4. profile image49
    brainlara2011posted 6 years ago

If your grass of the garden is totally damaged by the fungus then you should try an artificial grass which has no problems like this...For more detail visit- http://www.simplyturf.co.uk/Artificial_Grass

working