jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Does anyone know what this is exactly? My best guess is a mushroom...

1. Relationshipc profile image87
    Relationshipcposted 4 years ago

Does anyone know what this is exactly? My best guess is a mushroom...

It is the thing that is in the middle of the picture. It is very low to the ground. It is hard as a rock. And it is all over our front yard. It looks almost like coral, but brownish/black.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8150895_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

My guess would also be mushrooms as well.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

I can't tell from the picture, but it could be bird's nest fungus. It forms a hard black crusty cover. On closer inspection the mass will look like tiny bird's nest w/ 3 fruiting bodies in each one like tiny eggs. It commonly sprouts from wood mulches and organic materials in grasses and soil. It is actually a harmless natural decomposer.

1. Relationshipc profile image87
      Relationshipcposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah the picture is not that great. :0 I checked out bird's nest fungus online and, even though they are cool looking, they are not what is in my yard.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Glad you checked it out! It will be interesting to find out what it is. smile

4. taburkett profile image60
    taburkettposted 4 years ago

It is difficult to actually say from your picture, but you may have a picture of mold growing where deer frequently feed. This is seen in areas where little sunlight and rain cleanse the area where the deer feed their young.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image96

My other guess would be a slime mold that has crusted over. They are common on damp lawns and pine needles.  Does it  make  airborne dust when disturbed?

2. Relationshipc profile image87
      Relationshipcposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@cat - Yay!  I think that is exactly what it is. Good to know it's not dangerous. Thank you very much for taking the time to comment.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96

you're welcome! Good to know smile

5. The Examiner-1 profile image73
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

What I see is green wiring and crumpled aluminum foil. At least that is all that came to mind. I could not find the center of the photo to view on a certain object either.

6. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

My guess is fungus as well.  Once when living in Seattle, I thought there seemed to be some kind of brownish rubbery caulking around our sliding glass door that Spring.  It had been a particularly wet winter in Seattle. I thought I had just never noticed it before.  However, it kept increasing until one day, I woke up to a smell like mushrooms and the "caulking" was now like a flower shape in the middle of my carpet!  I called the county extension office and they told me that it probably was a form of fungus growing up from spores in the plywood underneath our carpet.  Your county extension office might have an answer.

working