Is memory foam made after 2005 still potentially toxic?

1. questiongirl profile image77
    questiongirlposted 7 years ago

Is memory foam made after 2005 still potentially toxic?

Are memory-foam pillows made after 2005 automatically safe, or are there still potential concerns over toxins from polyurethane? I feel like the fumes from my new pillow are causing me to wake up with headaches, and I am worried about inhaling fumes that could be toxic for my baby, as I am 6 months pregnant.

2. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 7 years ago

While the memory foam that comes from the U.S. does not contain toxic ingredients such as formaldehyde or PBDE (polybrominateddiphenylether), it can have somewhat of a new foam type of smell that can stay for a couple of days to a couple of weeks, depending on the foam manufacturer. While this smell does not seem to trigger allergies, it can be a bother initially for people who have sensitivity to smells.
    Unfortunately, not all foam is created equal.  Many companies will put together the matress in the U.S., but buy the foam overseas to save money.  With overseas foam, we cannot be sure of the quality or the composition, so we are very wary of recommending any type that use memory foam not produced in the United States, with the exception of Tempur-Pedic, who has the only high quality Swedish manufacturing facility we know of.

working