jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When looking for a new home, is it the location or the house that would sway you

1. Spindle profile image61
    Spindleposted 6 years ago

When looking for a new home, is it the location or the house that would sway you  more??

2. Ken Barton profile image56
    Ken Bartonposted 6 years ago

As my real-estate agent said to me, "Location, location, location", then the style of the house.  Of course after this last winter we had here in western NY, I'm thinking "Hawaii, Hawaii, Hawaii", and lots of sunshine! lol

3. sharnas profile image57
    sharnasposted 6 years ago

Firstly loction and then home.  Locatin arround the home surely effecting the home.  Home surroundings defenitely effected people who live in the home. So choose a best location for your home.

4. BabyCheetah profile image72
    BabyCheetahposted 6 years ago

Hard question but I would have to like the house appartment I'm buying regardless of location. If I dont' like hte look/feel of a place then I won't buy it. But I would look around at the locations I wanted to live in anyway smile

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I would want the house to be in a convenient area, but also the house would have to really be special.  When we used to look at houses, I would know as soon as we were in the door if it was right or now--it would have a feel and I knew there was no reason going any further--husband and real estate agents don't really understand that!

Location first, house second.  right now I would love to be located in some sunlight--!

6. DonDWest profile image60
    DonDWestposted 6 years ago

I care more about the actual house. If you read many of my Hubs, I don't believe we should use housing as an investment tool and I believe this "equity" concept has caused a lot of suffering for my generation, literally pricing us out of house and home. I wouldn't think owning a shoe-box in Manhattan is a good deal, not by a long stretch, I would rather own a mansion in the wilderness. "City life" is overated. Seriously, what do you hope to do with "city life"? Go and get drunk? You can do that in the mansion. Play and listen to music? If you owned a mansion, you would have your own recording studio. I laugh at people who pay 400K for a 400 sq "condo" in cities like Boston, they're losers.

7. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 6 years ago

Location is most important from a realtor's eye, but a well-staged home can really get you emotionally and can cinch the sale. I look at homes in a given area then listen to my heart.

8. Mel Jay profile image87
    Mel Jayposted 6 years ago

I start with the location and then pick the house in that location that suits my lifestyle and needs and is not going to be a bad investment.

working