What are the spots on my linden tree?

1. jmelees profile image54
    jmeleesposted 6 years ago

What are the spots on my linden tree?

have an American Linden tree growing on my property. Last year dark spots began to appear on it’s leaves. Branches have fallen off the tree. . Any idea of what could be causing this?

2. Lee Curtis profile image56
    Lee Curtisposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the question, not sure about why the branches are dropping off after such a short period of time, maybe its been going on longer than you realize.  is there any bark being stripped off these branches, the grey squirrel always does this, here is my answer below.  if this answer helps you please click on the like button or leave a comment on one of my hubs:-)

Scientific Name

Elsinoe tiliae

Common Name

Lime anthracnose

Spheloma tiliae

Type of Agent

Leaf pathogen

Host and Localisation

On leaves and sometimes young shoots

Appearance of small yellow blisters on the leaves at the start of the season, which then turn into dark spots.  the centre of these dots turns progressively grey.  An early leaf fall at the end of the summer can occur in a severe attack.

Possible Confusion

other fungi causing anthracnose, such as Cercospora microsora, Septoria tiliae, Apiognominia tiliae

all dead and dying branches should be pruned out of a tree (always),  remove and destroy any affected parts including fallen leaves.  if using chemicals a thorough check of regulations for your area should be made or consult a qualified arborist.

browning of the leaf margins and discoloration could be

herbicide damage

hope this helps