jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What plants work as natural pest controls in gardens?

1. profile image43
    sberlangaposted 6 years ago

What plants work as natural pest controls in gardens?

I'm going to be planting a vegetable garden and don't want to use harsh chemicals.  What are good natural ways to keep pests away?

2. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Do some research on companion plants.  These are plants that work together to deter pests.  Herbs are almost always good anti-pest plants.  tomatoes and basil work together to fight off each others pest.  The Tomato Horn Worm, for example, does not like the chemicals that the Basil plants put off.  There are a great many plants that work as companions.  Marigolds and Colengula are two plants that work by themselves.

3. Isabellas profile image73
    Isabellasposted 6 years ago

Lemon grass does wonders as well at helping keep off some of the pests. I mainly use Marigolds, though, and they tend to take care of most of my issues.

4. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

Onion and garlic are also good at keeping pests away. (They are not 'pretty' plants, but they work well & are useful in the kitchen).

5. profile image45
    albertmusoliniposted 6 years ago

If you are using the Artificial Grass then you didn`t need the any pest control for garden.For more information please visit http://www.simplyturf.co.uk/

6. pestcontrolproduc profile image73
    pestcontrolproducposted 5 years ago

Of course, it's important that the plants you use to keep pests away don't also keep you away, but onions and garlics work wonders on some of the bigger pests, like squirrels and vampires. (OK, I'm just kidding about the vampire part. Vampires aren't usually particularly pestiferous in the garden anyway.) If deer are a problem, try oleanders. They can't eat them, and they make a decent hedge. Carrots love tomatoes, and protect each other from insect pests, and dill is a good companion plant because butterflies love to lay their eggs on it--but only as it is going by, anyway.