jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Big City, Suburb or Rural Area?

1. Matty Says profile image60
    Matty Saysposted 6 years ago

Big City, Suburb or Rural Area?

Advantages and disadvantages, pace of lifestyle, and a list of conveniences are just a few factors that attract us to our favorite places to live.  What type of lifestyle do you prefer and why?  Has it changed over the years?

2. joyfuldesigns profile image68
    joyfuldesignsposted 6 years ago

I prefer a rural lifestyle as I love a slower pace, less traffic, less crowds in general.  That desire has gotton stronger as I've gotton older, but life circumstances have recently required me to take the opposite direction.  Living in a bigger city than I have my entire life!  So, I'm adjusting to what I normally would not gravitate to.

3. ThelmaC profile image97
    ThelmaCposted 6 years ago

When I was younger I definitely favored the big city lifestyle.  But as I got older what I considered to be important changed.  I now enjoy living in a small mountain town out in the country with no neighbors.  The big city is 1 1/2 hours away and if I need something that I can't get here I can venture back to civilization.  But that is becoming less of an issue with the availability of internet shopping now.

4. DeborahNeyens profile image97
    DeborahNeyensposted 6 years ago

After I got out of school I moved to Chicago and never thought I'd leave.  I loved the big city life, just not the job.  I moved back to the small city where I grew up to take a new job. The biggest adjustment for me was lack of ethnic restaurants, and fortunately that has changed after 17 years.  Now I'm in suburbia, with a big yard and garden.  My neighbors are close, but not too close.  I've come to prefer the slower-paced lifestyle although I do miss being able to walk everywhere. And like Thelma says, yay for internet shopping!

5. Blond Logic profile image98
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

Rural definitely. I shop locally as well so that can be difficult, there is very little selection. I think I have always wanted to live in the country, it just took me a while to get here.

6. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

I'm in a small city, which is nasty, and I long for the rural life.  I think the rural life would be best for me since I like solitude and my wife and I would like to get some farm animals.  Or more farm animals.smile

7. profile image0
    Kieran Gracieposted 6 years ago

I think that it changes over the years.  At one time I lived in New York City, in uptown Manhattan, and loved the constant buzz and excitement, the huge range of entertainment, cafes, cultural attractions, the animated and sometimes abrasive people. At another stage in my life I lived in upstate New York and was able to sample the laid-back rural life.  This was also stimulating in its own way, and I found peace and relaxation.

Now, in retirement, I live on a beautiful island that has everything I could want.  Happy and charming people, flowers, great weather, no flies (!), a good infrastructure so that I can get to anywhere I want easily and quickly.

Looking back, I think that I have been very lucky, because most of the places I have lived were the result of my work, and most of them have been very good for and to me.

working