jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the pros and cons of erecting a plastic shed?

1. shazwellyn profile image55
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

What are the pros and cons of erecting a plastic shed?

Would you recommend a shed of this construction?

2. BizGenGirl profile image85
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

Well, it highly depends on what type of plastic and what you plan to use the shed for..... if you are using the shed to keep your gardening tools in, then a really thick hard plastic could be more durable then some kids of wood sheds, and less expensive. Though by buying any sort of mainstream plastic materials, you would be aiding the petroleum industry (a potential con).

Alternatively, if you're thinking about erecting a plastic shed to house plants and such, then you could look at such benefits as being able to regulate heat, and such contras as not having as strong of protection as wood or metal.

3. chspublish profile image81
    chspublishposted 6 years ago

From a practical and durability point of view, I think a plastic shed is very sensible - no painting, no maintenance.
    But from an aesthetic and - how shall I put it - a world view on the use of plastic and the drastic plastic pollution in the sea, I think a recycled wooden shed would, not alone be aesthetic in the garden, as it could double as a summer house, but also be very durable and you would be re-cycling the wood already in use. I know the wood would need treating from time to time. A small price to pay, though, don't you think?
    So that's my contribution to an answer, in spite of the fact I bought a very durable plastic shed a number of years ago and gave it away to someone else, when I left my garden, due to moving house.
    Because I now don't 'own' a garden and rent an allotment, I'm tempted to 'have' another shed - though I will make a concerted effort to create a wooden one from recycled wood.
    After all this preaching I would want to, wouldn't I?
    I happen to like sheds and think every garden should have one, though it can be constructed in a creative pleasing way and help the environment.
    Thanks for the question.

4. SEM Pro profile image85
    SEM Proposted 6 years ago

I agree with BizGG - depends on what you want to use it for. Disagree with the idea that plastic isn't as aesthetically pleasing, but do agree with chspublish in that plastic can last a long time with little to no maintenance. The durable corrugated plastic sheets available for greenhouse construction are phenomenally strong and can last for a couple of decades or more.

On the other hand if using for just storage, wood is easier to put nails into and such for accessible organization. Might depend on your neighborhood these days too, for security purposes, or by-law compliance.

The ability to regulate the temperature can make a huge difference in what you're able to store, or use it for. The metal containers can get about 20 degrees hotter or colder than the outside temp. if unprotected. This makes storing fabrics or paintings for example, virtually impossible. Again, humidity might be a factor shazwellyn. Wood can deteriorate much quicker and is susceptible to bug infestation and moths and little creatures like mice just love finding spots to nest in boxes and can ruin stored papers in a heartbeat (as will humidity for books etc.).

5. sarahperkins profile image83
    sarahperkinsposted 6 years ago

I realize this is not a helpful response, but I first read this question as "What are the pros and cons of resurrecting a plastic shed?" Gave me a good laugh