jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Have you tried out an LED light bulb yet?

1. jesimpki profile image97
    jesimpkiposted 6 years ago

Have you tried out an LED light bulb yet?

If so, what brand and wattage equivalent was it?  How would you rate its light output on a scale of 1 to 10?

2. ithabise profile image87
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

Not yet. I need a fatter piggy bank! I'd love a house full of them--like my CFLs--but these are just too expensive right now.

3. skys profile image61
    skysposted 6 years ago

Yes I not just tried rather working on this project. It's a good energy saving idea so I'm building the office roof with LED's erected in that so I may get cheap but very fine light at every corner of the office. I tried this and it was consuming just 7 watts and my whole office was full of light.

4. ShootersCenter profile image71
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

I changed over the whole house, trying different bulbs in various rooms. It's great light you can get lumens and color numbers off the box. The savings is about $60 month the we have better lighting in every room. The cost is coming down quickly, just watch for sales, I brought them a little at a time.

1. jesimpki profile image97
      jesimpkiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's awesome!  And considering Lowe's and Home Depot usually have some of their LED  bulbs on special, its getting less expensive to pick up a few at a time.  My favorite so far is the EcoSmart 60 watt equivalent bulb from Home Depot.

5. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

No not yet. My sister replaced several of her 50watt halogen spot lamps with LED spots and while the lamps run cool, the light output is much less. You need to use at least a 6 watt output LED lamp to replace a 50 watt halogen. Now that it is mandatory to indicate the lumen output of lighting on the packaging here in the EU, comparison is easier between different lighting technologies.
    At present, LED lamps are very expensive and would take years to recover the cost from the saving in energy. Also while 60 watt equivalent LED lamps are available, 100 watt equivalent are less so.

1. ShootersCenter profile image71
      ShootersCenterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Cost recovery is far less time than you would think. You're saving 75-90% energy, maintenance cost and if installing new smaller wire sizes for the lower watt fixtures. I just finished a parking lot that is projected to get full return in 3yrs.

working