jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the diffrence between a shrub and a bush?

1. shazwellyn profile image55
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

What is the diffrence between a shrub and a bush?

2. arusho profile image61
    arushoposted 6 years ago

I don't think there is a difference.  It's just different terminology.  I just looked it up, it sounds like shrub means a single plant, while bush can refer to a shrubby, treed area.  You know, like out in the bush.

3. Gloshei profile image61
    Glosheiposted 6 years ago

A bush is a short woody growth with many stems, whilst a shrub (scrybb) is used as a screening to a pathway.
    Like arusho I had to look it up to make sure. Good question and gets you thinking.

4. Golfgal profile image85
    Golfgalposted 6 years ago

Technically there is no difference between a bush and shrub.  Just terminology. A shrub is a woody perennial that is usually smaller than 10 to 12 feet at maturity.  Whereas trees are woody plants that grow over 15 feet at maturity. Usually shrubs have a swmaller maximum height than a tree at maturity based on the variety and species and amount of water available.  The term bush is just another description of a shrub.  Though a bush typically signifies a rounded shrub of sorts that needs shaped.  Like the description of a bushy tailed squirrel or even better a bushy mustache...a thick shrub that usually requires pruning and trimming.  At the end of the day, the bush is a shrub.

5. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago
  6. shara63 profile image69
    shara63posted 6 years ago

Basic difference between the two is, a shrub is a multiple branched/stemmed Woody plant while the Bush is a thick unarranged group/colloction of shrubs.