jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Please provide tips in how to motivate a team of builders to work effectively, w

1. shazwellyn profile image55
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

Please provide tips in how to motivate a team of builders to work effectively, well and quickly.

2. profile image0
    markbennisposted 6 years ago

I personally have worked in many building projects and I can personally say I have been on jobs were the project has been a complete nightmare and the one main factor I have always seen is the destruction of team spirit and moral.

Reasons for bad moral and poor performance?

•    Bad Management!  If you do not have good management or a site supervisor that knows how to keep things running smoothly then expect trouble, the trades just want to get on with there jobs and don’t need the hassle of clients stepping in and creating chaos plus changing things and trying to take charge, it never works and always fails.
    •    If you haven’t got a supervisor then at least ask one of the experienced trades to suggest what to do, then respect his experience and give them space to get on with it and just evaluate from a distance to see how it goes.
    •    If the atmosphere is rife and morale is very low then the job will just drag out and most likely the trades will rather be somewhere else.
    •    Increase the morale by recognising what good works they have done and try to just have fun, bring in some humour because it’s a stressful business and we all know that when you are enjoying what you are doing you begin to do it well.
    •    I recommend watching a really fantastic British series called DIY SOS with Presenter Nick Knowles, every builder loves that programme as it really illustrates the ultimate building projects and team to work in, that’s because of the great morale they have and the most important aspect is the ‘Crack’, here’s a link to see a it for yourself Link:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … rencester/

3. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

Quickly usually isn't a problem--it's the effectively and well that you have to watch out for.  Complete payment shouldn't be made before completion of the job, contracts should be clear (and issues should be dealt with in writing as well as verbally as they arise).  Treat the crews like human beings, but don't be afraid to set boundaries--"No, I really don't want all the dark tiles at one end of the room, and all the light ones at the other!"--you are, after all, the customer, and are paying.

And pick good contractors in the first place.  Check references, company histories--remember that in many cases contractors must front considerable sums in order to do the work, so they must be financially stable as well as technically skilled--compare quotes, think it over, then trust your judgement.

4. datahound profile image68
    datahoundposted 6 years ago

Treat the workers like people.  I had my roof done last year and provided the crew with a cooler full of gatorade, sodas and bottled water.  A simple gesture that was well received.  I know for a fact they went out of their way to do a great job for us.  They ended the job by saying 'thanks' and that no one had ever done that for them.

5. mary-deo profile image59
    mary-deoposted 6 years ago

Good communication holds the key to success. Hold regular assessments and give positive reinforcement and feedback where possible. Encourage teams to identify areas that need improvement for themselves, rather than dictating what needs to be done.

working