jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do I get my walls to look smooth with big patches of paint that have come

  1. Jody Woodward profile image54
    Jody Woodwardposted 6 years ago

    How do I get my walls to look smooth with big

    patches of paint that have come away from wall?

    Need to paint my sons room after he ripped border off wall taking paint with it now I need to cover missing paint before painting but how

  2. rutley profile image75
    rutleyposted 6 years ago

    Spackle lightly......sand it down, prime then paint.  A few steps but it's the only way to smoothe.  Unless you just put another border over the old.  No one will notice!

  3. profile image0
    SirDentposted 6 years ago

    Be sure and remove any flakes of paint that are loose.  Nothing is as bad as filling in voids in a wall then because of loose paint it come back off.

    Use joint compound to fill in the space.  Thin it down so it is easy to use.  Use a mud knife that is much wider than the space needing filled and do not overfill.  Using a damp sponge instead of sandpaper to smooth it over before painting will keep the dust down to nothing.  Be sure and "feather" the added joint compound you use to fill in the void.

    You may have to do this a couple times before getting it fixed correctly.  You can buy one gallon size bucket of compound.  Water can be used to thin it down and stir it or use a potato masher to mix it up.

  4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

    apply drywall filler over the holes and then sand it. you may need to apply a couple of coats and be careful you sand it flat but don't over sand.