What should I be doing now to get my garden ready for the new season?

1. Bukarella profile image85
    Bukarellaposted 5 years ago

What should I be doing now to get my garden ready for the new season?

Last year was my first year gardening, and I feel like I got a bit of a late start, I'd like to be more prepared this year. We still have snow up here, but it's about to change! I'm in zone 5, if it helps.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5203827_f260.jpg

2. tmbridgeland profile image84
    tmbridgelandposted 5 years ago

If there is still snow on the ground, not a lot. I have a compost hole I add to all winter long, but that doesn't do much until spring because the food scraps just freeze. I also have a fireplace we use a lot. The ashes are spread evenly around the garden.

The main thing you do in this season is wish. You look at seed catalogs and wish you had another 50 acres and a lot more time...

If you have space inside the house, you can start some early vegetables for transplanting. Broccoli, cabbage, squash/pumpkin, tomatoes, things like this, can be started indoors and then put out when it is warm enough. Takes some advance planning and the space to do it in though.

3. suzzycue profile image93
    suzzycueposted 5 years ago

If the ground isn't frozen , I would take the plastic cover off(this is how I kill all the grass and weeds by covering the garden with plastic). Then, spead all the compost from the composter, a little sand and cow patties mixed with hay from a neibouring farm,over the garden.  You rototill it into the garden and let it sit a month before planting. We don't plant our gardens until after May 30th to make sure no frost hits the plants.

working