This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is used to quickly and efficiently deliver files such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisements has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

In a nutshell, what's your cleverest gardening tip?

1. WiccanSage profile image95
    WiccanSageposted 4 years ago

In a nutshell, what's your cleverest gardening tip?

If you like to garden, in the ground or in containers, share with me a little tip or two of things you like to do.

I container garden myself and I've found over the last couple of years that honey works better for me as a rooting hormone for plant cuttings than store-bought rooting hormone.

2. Minnie McD profile image61
    Minnie McDposted 4 years ago

Rubbing soap under your nails helps reduce nail staining and compost and mulch building up under your nails.

WiccanSageposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh that's brilliant. I was just grumbling and scrubbing my nails again this morning after having my hands in the dirt.

3. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 4 years ago

Oooh, I hadn't heard of honey -- does it have to be raw? I'll certainly have to try that smile.

I use raised-bed gardens and extra-tall rows to help conserve water and ensure proper draining -- less than 15" of rain here a year, usually, but heavy clay soil. Companion planting is a huge one -- I always plan out my garden ahead of time to make sure the best companions are grouped, it's the simplest way I know to REALLY boost yields. I do all-organic and use companions for pest deterrents, and have used my own compost pile to feed it. This year, I'm trying my hand at vermicomposting to see if some good ol' worm tea helps my apple tree and berry bushes big_smile

So...if it has to be one: Companion planting. Anyone who gardens and doesn't know what it is, you're SO missing out.

Regular store-bought real honey.  Someone told me a couple yrs ago it's antifungal and antimicrobial so it protects cuttings while they root. It worked so well I did some research & found some studies suggest it facilitates rooting.

2. wychic profile image88
      wychicposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I do clippings all the time, so now I'm going to try that one big_smile. I have rooting hormone, but that stuff is expensive after a while, and we always have honey around smile

4. Lowdown0 profile image80
    Lowdown0posted 4 years ago

Don't use chemicals like miracle grow on food, and use chicken compost and worm juice to help the garden grow rich organically.

Considering I have a screen porch container garden in a condo complex I can't compost. I wish I could have chickens and compost, that'd be awesome (I buy commercial compost & usually use it for mulch & compost tea fertilizers).

2. wychic profile image88
      wychicposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wiccan Sage -- have you looked into vermicomposting? My sister has a worm bin on her balcony in a third-floor apartment. When done right it's extremely low-odor, and the resulting castings are really rich for the plants.

3. Miss Dickinson profile image58
      Miss Dickinsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

WiccanSage, although you may not have room to have chickens or compost naturally, there are several organic granular fertilizers that you can buy and make it simple for small time container gardeners to use.

5. Eira Losee Fukuda profile image75
    Eira Losee Fukudaposted 4 years ago

THANK you for the tip about honey - I meant to say that in the comments on your sage hub, but got distracted by other aspects I enjoyed.

Anyway, I think my favorite thing in gardening is planting herb spiral beds, as I mentioned to you earlier. If you have limited space in your yard, or physical limitations, it's a beautiful and efficient way to conserve space and energy.

Also, comfrey (aka 'knitbone'). Not only is it a great medicinal plant, it's a wonderful companion plant, since its deep taproot brings up nitrogen most other plants can't reach. It can also shade more delicate plants from too much sun, and the bees love it. If it gets too invasive, I just use it as nutritious mulch.

Thanks Eira! Comfrey is something I have not grown, but I have worked with the herb purchased at organic herb stores. I'm going to look into it.

6. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 4 years ago

Those children's windmills works the best to keep deer and other creatures away from eating my gardens and the netting (crenoline) that you get in the fabric stores keeps the seeds from other plants and bugs and other unwanted things from landing in your raised gardens.  Best yet is that neither are chemicals or have to be put on after it rains or mixed or kill anything.

Hi Lady! That's cool--children's windmills! I have heard that scattering human hair keeps deer away- do you  know anything about that? Deer aren't an issue for me in the city with a screen porch, lol, but I'm curious and I'm sure it'll help others.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image61
      Lady Guinevereposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I tried the human hair and it doe nothing same as with the Irish Spring Soap and the mothballs...nothing.

7. Miss Dickinson profile image58
    Miss Dickinsonposted 4 years ago

Wood Ash! Its amazing for tomatoes and most other vegetables as well!

Thank you for the honey rooting idea! I must try that.

8. marcJ profile image80
    marcJposted 3 years ago

I've written a couple hubs on this subject, there are too many to list here. Hopefully they help you all as much as they've helped me!

http://marcj.hubpages.com/hub/Gardening … e-Recycler
    http://marcj.hubpages.com/hub/Twenty-Ti … eat-Garden

working