Is a great sales person born or made?

1. JamesPoppell profile image84
    JamesPoppellposted 6 years ago

Is a great sales person born or made?

In other words, can a mediocre sales person be made into a great sales person?

2. Designer Jim profile image46
    Designer Jimposted 6 years ago

Having been in professional sales for over 30 years I would have to say it is a combination of the two. You have to be born or at least developed at a young age to become the kind of person who lives to help others. After all sales comes down to finding a need or problem and solving it in the most effective way.

From here it becomes a process of developing and honing skills and knowledge base to make the most effective use of every possible resource.

When it comes to a mediocre sales persons potential I think it really comes down to assessing their personal drive and passion to help others. If that spark is present then the potential is there to develop the skills and knowledge base to be a top seller.

3. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I believe it takes a certain personality and determination to become a good sales person. There's a certain drive that goes with the field.  From  my marketing experience, we had many people who wanted to market a product but lacked the ability to understand the process, needs of the client and design a sales program for the successful sales.