jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How Can I Correct Squeaking Door Hinges?

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 6 years ago

How Can I Correct Squeaking Door Hinges?

Almost every other door in our house is shrill crying in such a way that at night one may think demons has invaded the house.

2. silentnomore profile image60
    silentnomoreposted 6 years ago

There is a product call Super Lube, it is a great product that we have used for years in our garage door business to lubricate the working parts of a garage door.  My husband bought a can for our home and we use it on squeaking doors.  You can purchase it on Amazon for under $10 and it will last you a very long time.

3. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

silentnomore is right on with a product but if you want something that's likely in your cupboard...try vegetable oil. If you pull the pin and wipe it down, it will work better but it can be sprayed in or dripped if they're tight and hard to get out. You may have to do it every couple months but it's cheap/free.

Of course check your screws and hinges for tightness. If the door is rubbing the jamb, perhaps you can pull the hinge and put something behind it to space it away from the jamb. This can happen when a house settles and then no lube will really work long term.

It all depends on why/where they're squeaking.

4. MrRogersWindows profile image60
    MrRogersWindowsposted 6 years ago

Try a lubricant first. That's your first line of defense. Of course, squeaky hinges could be a sign that the door is getting older, or perhaps out of alignment. When a door is not hanging plumb or square, it tends to squeak. But you would know this because it would be hard to open and close your door.

So I would recommend that you try WD40-or any lubricant spray for that matter. Open and close the door a few times right after you spray, and it should be nice and quiet.

Just remember never to use WD40 on a window, however. That's because WD40 is an oil-based lubricant and it attracts dust and debris, gets stuck in the window frames and is hard to clean out. Whereas on a door hinge, the WD40 will be absorbed into the pin, where the squeaking is actually happening.

If you don't want to use a petroleum-based product, use a silicone, or even a food grade silicone spray, which you can find in any department store.

working