What recourse (if any) do you have if you discover an undisclosed defect after y

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. DonnaCosmato profile image96
    DonnaCosmatoposted 6 years ago

    What recourse (if any) do you have if you discover an undisclosed defect after you close on a home?

  2. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

    I guess it depends on where you live an state law.  In my state, you have 2 years to sue.  If it was something that they should have disclosed in the state disclosure document or mislead you about, then you have the grounds to sue them.  Just make sure you can recover enough after lawyer fees to make it all worthwhile.

  3. Deborah-Diane profile image84
    Deborah-Dianeposted 6 years ago

    I used to be a Realtor.  About the only recourse you have is to threaten to sue and hope that the sellers will reimburse you for the cost of repairing the undisclosed defect.  If they refuse, then you will have to sue, or take them to Small Claims Court, depending on the size of the defect.

    The vast majority of lawsuits involving real estate are brought by buyers suing sellers over defects in the home.  Frequently they will receive a monetary settlement.

    However, the sellers do have some possible defenses:  they may not have know about the defect; your inspector may have missed it; you may have given up your right to an inspection; you may have already received some funds for general repairs.

    I hope you are able to resolve this issue amicably.

  4. Parks McCants profile image72
    Parks McCantsposted 6 years ago

    Well Donna, that's a great question. In most states,Realtors are compelled to disclose;information only 'known' to them. Anotherwords, if the flaw is not an obviouse one, or a condition that should be known to a proffessional Realtor; in thier capacity as an 'expert', then;  the Realtor, in most cases is held harmless.

    Disclosure and the buyer's acknowledgement of that disclosure, is manditory;as to real estate practice in the U.S.

    Generally, what I find to be the case in the after the fact disclosure of a minor flaw,is that the seller, if approached to do so, will generally 'cure' the condition.

    I have seen property line, as well as use issues go to court, however, this is rare, and is far less expensive to resorve through resolution.

    1. Ask the seller to remedy the flaw.
    2. Press for resolve through mitigation.
    3. Go after the broker's E&O insurance.
    4. Take an asprin or tylinol; and walk it off.
    5. Go after the title insurance.
    6. Take it to small claims court.

    THat's about it. Good luck!


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)