jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should I buy a pre-owned home or new construction?

1. DonnaCosmato profile image97
    DonnaCosmatoposted 5 years ago

Should I buy a pre-owned home or new construction?

What are the pros and cons of each?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

It all depends on what you are looking for. Me, I prefer an old home. Old houses have character, and if only the walls could talk. If the home has been well maintained, as ours has, old homes hold up better. Part of my house was built in 1795. No house today would stand for that long. They don't make them like they use to. The materials are inferior now, to what they used back then.
    I had a customer once (when I was cleaning houses) who bought a $600,000 home. It has all the latest in everything. The shower was bigger than most closets....ah, but only after 6 months, the plaster was cracking, and the wood was warping. I had to laugh. Yes, the floors in my house are a tad uneven, but it is also over 200 years old.
    Best of luck to you in your search! Happy house hunting.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

It is likely more a matter of personal taste.  I like new construction, though still have an inspection.  What I like is that many times new homes come with a warranty that is very helpful if something goes wrong after you move in.

As cloverleaffarm says, older homes do have character and if well-maintained and thoroughly inspected before purchase, it might be a good fit for the buyer.  I just like new stuff!  lol

4. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

in most cases, new homes these days are made from lower quality materials and constructed poorly. not all of them but unless you plan on spending a huge amount of money, quality will not be the bonus of a new home. older homes are usually better quality but you may need to spen money on renovations such as windows, doors and insulation.