Help! How do I save my orchids?

1. RunningDeer profile image82
    RunningDeerposted 5 years ago

Help!  How do I save my orchids?

I've had these two orchids for about a year now.  Any good advice on how to bring them back to life?  They haven't bloomed since I bought them.  The stems are brown, and one of them has two dead leaves.  My boyfriend bought them for me and he thinks I have neglected them, but orchids are seriously difficult to take care of.  Please help!  Thank you!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6696416_f260.jpg

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Hi runningdeer,
    Your plants are moth orchids or phalaenopsis. They often intimidate people but are really easy to care for. The brown spike you describe is the perfectly normal result of a spent bloom. Go ahead and cut it off.  These plants grow in bark, coconut husk, and spaghnum moss mixtures rather than soil. Keep it indoors where it will get lots of light but indirect sun. Let it get cooler night temps w/ open window air flow. Place it on a saucer of gravel with water to provide humidity.
    Water it twice a week in the sink where the water is allowed to flow throgh the container and saturate the bark mixture, then let it drain well . Fertilize it with a fertlizer like Eleanor's VF11 at half-strength once a week. Your local garden center can help you w/ problems or repotting.
    The roots grow up  out of the soil and look like geen coils. A new flower spike starts out with a tip like a mitten.  It can take weeks or months for a new spike, so I clip a silk orchid stem to the support stick to curb my impatience.  Hope that helps:>)

3. Dolores Monet profile image98
    Dolores Monetposted 5 years ago

I can't see the close pot. But the stems should be cut off after the flowers die. New flowers grow on new stems. The leaves look good on the one plant, but maybe you want to encourage new growth. Get some orchid food and follow the instructions. Cut back the stems all the way. Good luck!

working