What do you use to control Pond Weeds?

1. Virtual Treasures profile image56
    Virtual Treasuresposted 5 years ago

What do you use to control Pond Weeds?

I have an approximately 1/4 acre pond that does not have fish in it.  It is overcome with weeds.  You name it, I probably have it.  Duckweed, Cattails, water buttercup, algae, emersed, submersed, floating--it's really bad.  I know you can't use Round-Up, but what is effective?  I've been told copper sulfate by some, Weedtrine-D by some, Glyphosate by some.  Is it possible that I can get it cleared out this season?

2. bridalletter profile image81
    bridalletterposted 5 years ago

If you can add fish, add carp. They eat algae.

Barley balls work. "Still Pond Bagged Barley Straw, $12 treats up to 2000 Gallons for 4 to 6 months" link - http://www.stillpondfarm.com/Still-Pond … QAodBy3t8A

I learned about the barley from a group of professionals selling pond flowers and read about in regards to fending off mosquitos  from nesting in standing water.

So it is possible to clear it up. I am not sure how many carp but I would consult a conservation department fishery and ask them how many fish per acre of water.
    The barley straw states how many gallons it treats so you can calculate the amount needed and your cost.

working