jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What's the best way to clean vases, jars and glasses with tiny neck openings?

1. DonnaCosmato profile image96
    DonnaCosmatoposted 5 years ago

What's the best way to clean vases, jars and glasses with tiny neck openings?

2. Amy Gillie profile image86
    Amy Gillieposted 5 years ago

I have used hot water with some rice or ice cubes thrown in. Shake the vase and the ice or rice scrubs the sides.

3. nochance profile image93
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

You can buy bottle cleaners in the baby section of most stores, though these can be too small for some vases. A similar product exists in the garden center of most stores, it is used for cleaning bird feeders (like hummingbird feeders) and is much larger. It has a spongy end and a bristle end and would work great for cleaning anything with a small opening.

4. gerrywalker profile image66
    gerrywalkerposted 5 years ago

I use a baby bottle cleaning brush I've had a long time, it has a very narrow metal spiral that will go into most tiny openings.  I also have a dog toothbrush that has an extra long handle (never could figure out why) that works.  Put warm water with baking soda in the bottle and let it soak a while first, then use the brush. The baking soda is slightly abrasive and also sweetens the jar.  For hummingbird feeders, after I use the toothbrush, I put more warm water in plus just a drop of bleach when cleaning before storing away for the winter. Rinse thoroughly and let dry before storing away.

1. profile image61
      Patricia Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Another method for cleaning  narrow neck vases or bottles is to put one denture cleaning tablet into the vase (you may need to break up the tablet to get it in) then fill with warm water. Let it soak overnight then empty and rinse!

5. OldRoses profile image95
    OldRosesposted 5 years ago

I use vinegar.  It's cheap and effective.  Just pour it in, let it sit overnight, rinse out the following morning.  Voila!  Sparkling clean glass.

working