jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Dryer or Clothesline?

1. cloverleaffarm profile image75
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

Dryer or Clothesline?

Do you use a dryer to dry your clothes, or do you like to hang them in the fresh outdoors?

2. LetitiaFT profile image83
    LetitiaFTposted 5 years ago

Both. I like the soft feel of towels out of the dryer, but I would gladly hang everything else out in the fresh air.
    The problem in Paris where I live is that the air isn't so fresh, it's cold and rainy most of the time, and it isn't Naples, i.e. you aren't allowed to hang clothes out your apartment window! Here I hang up my husband's shirts and my delicates on a bar in a convenient recess in the bathroom where they can dry relatively out of sight, but everything else goes in the machine.
    As soon as I go to the country on holiday I hang everything outside and delect in rolling around in crisp sun-dried sheets. Looking back, I can't believe that living in sunny Southern California I ever machine dried laundry!
    How about you, Cloverleaffarm?

1. cloverleaffarm profile image75
      cloverleaffarmposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I always hang them out...even when it's winter. I don't own a dryer. I do the wash in a 1945 wringer washer.
      The best time for me is "clean sheet night". Love the smell of the outdoors brought in. Luckily, I live where I can do this.

3. Amy Gillie profile image88
    Amy Gillieposted 5 years ago

I love the smell of clothes off the clothesline, but not the bugs and what the birds leave behind on them! So for me, it's dryer all the time!

1. LetitiaFT profile image83
      LetitiaFTposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha! Good point!

2. cloverleaffarm profile image75
      cloverleaffarmposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I honestly have never had the bird thing happen. I've been hanging clothes out for 30 years, (before that my Mom did it) and I luckily have missed out on that. Bugs, yeah, I get those. But I just toss them off.

4. profile image0
    4youreyesposted 5 years ago

Hang them out in the fresh air. They smell so good. In the winter time I hang them on hangers to dry, have a rod to hang them on in my boot room, it makes the house smell good while adding moisture to the air. We heat with a outdoor wood furnace. It also saves a lot of money on our electric bill.

working