jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

How do you make your own organic pesticide?

1. ktrapp profile image98
    ktrappposted 5 years ago

How do you make your own organic pesticide?

I am growing some vegetables in containers and need some type of organic pesticide or tips/tricks on keeping bugs from eating my vegetable plants.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6869817_f260.jpg

2. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Garlic powder, cinnamon, and organic apple cidar vinegar all work well to keep pests away.

ktrappposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do you put these things directly on the plant or in the soil?

2. ktrapp profile image98

So it's a three-pronged attack. Thanks for the tips.

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

Cayenne pepper.  Then I looked at all those leaves sprinkled with cayenne pepper and thought, "What a waste!  Wouldn't that be better in some Mexican dish???"  The ladies at the local Historic Sacramento Rose Garden patiently spray water on aphids or crush them with their fingers, but that takes too long for me.  I HATE APHIDS.  I was raised on an orchard, and I have not problem turning to the real deal at times.

4. KevinTimothy profile image83
    KevinTimothyposted 5 years ago

Seep the leaves of the Citronella plant and the fresh flower heads of the Magnolia. Use the "tea" in a spray bottle.

This sounds interesting. I have never heard of this before but I am not sure where to find a citronella plant.

2. KevinTimothy profile image83
      KevinTimothyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

ktrapp,

In the southeast citronella plants can be found in the major home improvement stores.  We had plant expo here on Arbor Day this year and nearly half of the vendors had them for sale.  It may just be a Florida thing, but target seeds online.

3. ktrapp profile image98

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Citronella plant. I will have to see if our Home Depot in Illinois sells them; I'm guessing they may not. But starting one from seed is a great idea for next year. Thanks.

working