jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How would you design a Playroom / Craftroom?

1. milleramanda53 profile image80
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

How would you design a Playroom / Craftroom?

2. DeborahNeyens profile image98
    DeborahNeyensposted 5 years ago

I have a craftroom (well, it also doubles as my husband's office) and it features a big work table in the middle that I bought from my employer when they were selling surplus office furniture, a couple of old dressers that I use for storage, snap-together shelves that I got from Target, and lots of bright work lights. It isn't fancy, but I furnished it really cheaply and it has plenty of room for storing all my supplies and projects. The one thing I'd like to add is a bulletin board/white board.

3. lilalollie profile image75
    lilalollieposted 5 years ago

Hi milleramanda53,

I don't know exactly what you mean with a craftroom, but I would start with painting the walls in a colour that suits you. You could use nice patters or hang up some paintings, which fits the atmosphere you would like to create.

Then fill it with furniture on which you can relax and put in a table with room for a computer or tv.

Hope this will help!

Greetz,
    Lilalollie

4. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

Lots of labeled storage. This ensures that everything has a home so it can easily be put away where it belongs, especially if children are involved. Clear plastic bins and jars are great because you can see what is inside them or at the bottom without having to dig through it and make a mess.

Use pretty curtains to cover shelving units to keep everything out of sight if you have a less than perfect organization system. They're nicer than cupboard doors because you don't have to worry about them jamming or not shutting properly. And if you hang them up using velco you can easily create a few different sets and change them out when the mood strikes.

1. DeborahNeyens profile image98
      DeborahNeyensposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great idea about the curtains!

5. Cre8tor profile image96
    Cre8torposted 5 years ago

I would use a well organized closet for storage, perhaps even remove the doors. Then a large table is key. One with pull out drawers for further storage. (I'm trying to conserve as much floor space as possible.) A stool set that can fit under the table and one wall would be a giant dry erase board. The kids can have at the bottom while I draw up ideas for my crafts. Being a craft/playroom, I would think about a short commercial type carpet or a large area rug. This is cheap, easy to sweep and you can spill paint on it, drop things on it, etc...and protect the floor underneath. Good lighting would be important and lots of cool stuff to fill my drawers and closet.

working