jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

How do you get rid of sticky tape residue?

1. wandererh profile image74
    wandererhposted 5 years ago

How do you get rid of sticky tape residue?

When you have to remove sticky tape that has been left on for some time, it will normally leave a residue that sticks on to everything - including your fingers.  Washing with soap and water will not get it off.  The only way would be to slowly "wipe" it off on a piece of rag.  Is there any kind of solvent that can easily get it off?

2. daughterson profile image85
    daughtersonposted 5 years ago

I resently had a problem with duck tap residue -- very sticky on my car window.  I tried everything to get it off then my husband thought of Lighter Fluid (like you use to start a grill).  It worked like a charm.  It took a little rubbing, but it worked. I finished of the windows with windex.  Goo-be-gone works if you can find it.  I hope this helps.  Of course it depends on what kind of surface the residue is on -- this would not work on everything.  I am speaking of Glass.  If you put vegetable oil on your hands and then wash them with soap you can get most of it off.

1. wandererh profile image74
      wandererhposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks daughterson.  smile  Not sure if I can get Windex or Goo-be-gone locally, but I will check the next time I make a trip to the hardware store.

2. daughterson profile image85
      daughtersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Windex is just a window cleaner.  Vinegar and water work just as well.

3. wandererh profile image74
      wandererhposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I heard vinegar's good for getting rid of ants too.  I will get a bottle and see how it does the next time I get sticky fingers.

3. mrsgray profile image60
    mrsgrayposted 5 years ago

Goo off,  WD40, Windex, Awesome,  Gasoline.  They will all work.   If its a flat surface (not your body) spray one of these on that area and take a razor blade and scrap back and forth you will the be able to wipe it clean.

4. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 5 years ago

baby powder will negate the sticky part. Sometimes you can rub it off with your finger after that or a razor blade.

5. Lyn Diano profile image39
    Lyn Dianoposted 5 years ago

Rubbing the sticky residue with cooking oil on a wash cloth works perfectly in my experience. :-) Afterwards, clean the surface with clean cloth or paper towel. And yes, white vinegar also works very well.

working