This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

How do you get rid of sticky tape residue?

1. wandererh profile image73
    wandererhposted 5 years ago

How do you get rid of sticky tape residue?

When you have to remove sticky tape that has been left on for some time, it will normally leave a residue that sticks on to everything - including your fingers.  Washing with soap and water will not get it off.  The only way would be to slowly "wipe" it off on a piece of rag.  Is there any kind of solvent that can easily get it off?

2. daughterson profile image87
    daughtersonposted 5 years ago

I resently had a problem with duck tap residue -- very sticky on my car window.  I tried everything to get it off then my husband thought of Lighter Fluid (like you use to start a grill).  It worked like a charm.  It took a little rubbing, but it worked. I finished of the windows with windex.  Goo-be-gone works if you can find it.  I hope this helps.  Of course it depends on what kind of surface the residue is on -- this would not work on everything.  I am speaking of Glass.  If you put vegetable oil on your hands and then wash them with soap you can get most of it off.

1. wandererh profile image73
      wandererhposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks daughterson.  smile  Not sure if I can get Windex or Goo-be-gone locally, but I will check the next time I make a trip to the hardware store.

2. daughterson profile image87
      daughtersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Windex is just a window cleaner.  Vinegar and water work just as well.

3. wandererh profile image73
      wandererhposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I heard vinegar's good for getting rid of ants too.  I will get a bottle and see how it does the next time I get sticky fingers.

3. mrsgray profile image60
    mrsgrayposted 5 years ago

Goo off,  WD40, Windex, Awesome,  Gasoline.  They will all work.   If its a flat surface (not your body) spray one of these on that area and take a razor blade and scrap back and forth you will the be able to wipe it clean.

4. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 5 years ago

baby powder will negate the sticky part. Sometimes you can rub it off with your finger after that or a razor blade.

5. Lyn Diano profile image39
    Lyn Dianoposted 5 years ago

Rubbing the sticky residue with cooking oil on a wash cloth works perfectly in my experience. :-) Afterwards, clean the surface with clean cloth or paper towel. And yes, white vinegar also works very well.

working