jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

I suspended an avacado pit over some water over a month ago and it sprouted what

1. flacoinohio profile image82
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

I suspended an avacado pit over some water over a month ago and it sprouted what do I do with it?

I have an avacado pit that has split and produced roots down into the water and a what may be a stem coming out of the top.  I assume that I need to plant it at some point in time.  Any tips on how to plant and proper care of this plant?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6977456_f260.jpg

2. snakeslane profile image78
    snakeslaneposted 5 years ago

Plant it in a pot that is as deep as the root, and not too big around. A six inch clay pot would work. Fill the pot to about one third way up the pit, with some houseplant potting soil. Set it in a bright warm window, or on a table (not in hot direct sun) and watch it sprout. Keep the soil moist. When it gets root bound, transplant into a bigger pot.

3. Farmer Rachel profile image100
    Farmer Rachelposted 5 years ago

Hi there! I've actually tried this myself a couple times, and read a lot about it. First of all, where do you live? Are your winters cold? If so, you won't be able to permanently transplant the tree outdoors.

When the stem (the part coming out the top of the pit, not the roots) gets four or five inches tall, you can plant the little guy in a pot with good potting soil. Place the potted tree in a sunny window. The tree can be moved outside in warm weather, but like I said, if you have real winters you won't be able to plant the tree in the ground and leave it there year round. If you live somewhere like Florida, go ahead and plant it outside when the tree is about a foot tall.

You might get fruit in four years or so, but I think that depends on what kind of climate the tree is going to "think" it lives in. Your best bet would be to try to trick it into thinking it's in a warm climate year-round. You might have trouble with pollination if you only have one tree.

Good luck with it! You should write a hub about it. I never could get my avocado pits to sprout anything... maybe I didn't clean them properly, or they were bad eggs or something. Anyway, good luck and have fun!

4. flacoinohio profile image82
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

I suspended the pit immediately after removing it from the avacado and rinsing off the pit.  I placed the end if the pit that had a tiny little white tip directly into the cup full of water and set it on a window sill that gets light, but not direct sunlight.  I did not refill the cup of water, it stayed relatively full, it think it has maybe used a ounce or two of water.  Only the very tip of the pit was touching water and after the water went down it was not touching at all.  I live in Ohio, four years for a yield and I need another plant ?  I will have to see if I can get another pit to sprout.  Thanks:D.

1. Farmer Rachel profile image100
      Farmer Rachelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, that may have been my problem - I submerged the pits... LOL. I only tried it twice. Will have to give it another go!

5. rutley profile image77
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

I chuck every avocado pit I get in a pot of dirt.  They always sprout within 6 weeks.
    I now have 7 trees! Bring them in for the winter and back out for the summer!
    I left planting tips on my So good avocado smoothie hub. Check it out if you can!

6. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Plant it! If you have a garden, it will grow into a beautiful tree. Good luck.

working