jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you stop the strimmer cord from constantly breaking?

1. Azure11 profile image91
    Azure11posted 5 years ago

How do you stop the strimmer cord from constantly breaking?

I have a lot of work to do in my garden but whenever I use the strimmer the cord breaks every 5 minutes - is there a knack to loading the cord? I am trying not to strim anything like metal poles and concrete slabs!

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

You need to buy thicker, more durable string. They make all different kind of sizes. I always buy the thickest string that I can find.

3. eugbug profile image99
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

The knack is just to cut with the bare tip of the line. This is moving at the fastest speed and if you let all the line into a long patch of grass, this tends to slow down the rotation speed and the machine doesn't cut as efficiently.  I have been using a strimmer for years and I find that even with plenty of experience, the cord breaks or wears away very quickly when strimming near rocks and pavements. Try not to let it slap of the ground and again just try and let the tip of the line make contact with weeds and grass and only barely touch the concrete. Yhe other alternative is to use a heavier gauge line which won't wear away as quick. The instructions for your machine should specify the max thickness of line.

4. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 5 years ago

Hi Azure11, if the cord keeps breaking you may be loading it wrong. I've had this happen. I can't explain how to wind the string on because I don't know what type of machine you are using. If the cord is tangled or knotted while loading, this could cause it to break. And if you use a string that is too thick for the machine, this could cause it to break also. If you don't have a manual, you may have to go back to the place you bought it, or a place that sells that machine and ask for some help to load. Also if you lose the spring that pops out when you are loading, this could cause it to break. Or if you wind the string on clockwise, when it's supposed to be counter clockwise (or vise versa) it would break or get jammed. Good luck with that.

working