jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do harvest times vary depending on climate?

1. arizonataylor profile image82
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

Do harvest times vary depending on climate?

I have a book that details the proper month to harvest berries, citrus, fruits, and vegetables.  I live in a very warm area, and I question the validity of these times.  Do warmer areas harvest earlier?  Do colder climates harvest later?

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Unless the book you were reading was written specifically for the area in which you live, there's a good chance your own growing season does not match up with the info in the book.  In fact, even local resources can be off some years as climates regularly shift a bit and have variances from year to year, or with more pronounced natural shifts.

3. neildabb profile image75
    neildabbposted 5 years ago

Yes, harvest times will vary depending on a good many things.  The harvest time at my home is one or two weeks different than those at my in-laws home 75 miles away, and the mountain valley to the north-east of me is another week or two different.  Some of the determining factors are latitude, elevation, and jet-stream patterns.  There are other factors (most of which I'm a bit fuzzy on) as well.

The people who would probably know specifics for your area are the ones that work at your local nursery or seed store.

1. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY RIGHT! In Cephalonia, in my mother's village which is in low flat, warmer areas they pick grapes in early September. Whereas, in my father's village high up in the mountains, it's done mid to late September.

working