jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is it better to try to sell a home or rent it?

1. Karen Hellier profile image93
    Karen Hellierposted 5 years ago

Is it better to try to sell a home or rent it?

Due to the current poor real estate market, do you think it's better to try to sell a home, or rent it out through a property management agency until the real estate market improves for sellers?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

This is a difficult question given the current RE market.  Many people think that renting is best, however, they fail to look at the tax and insurance ramifications of doing this, as well as the "usage" factor, problem renters, potential damage, etc.  Management companies are not a good idea as they really don't care about anything except what you are willing to pay them.  It's cheaper and better to rent your own place, as long as you live nearby.  If you are moving to another city or state, it would be best to pay a friend or relative to take care of your place for you.

1. Karen Hellier profile image93
      Karen Hellierposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Timetraveler2!

3. carol7777 profile image90
    carol7777posted 5 years ago

We have our house rented as rentals are hot in our area. If you have a rentable house and can recognize some dollars from it ..it is worth it.  And it depends on what your needs are.

4. profile image74
    Ghost Producerposted 5 years ago

This is a hard question to answer and it depends on quite a few things

1. Your renting market
    2. Your buying/selling market
    3. Do you have the budget to cover repairs
    4. Do you have the time to deal with renters?

The list goes on. I personally wouldn't hire a property manager I'd rent it out myself (more money for me)

I'd sell it on a rent to own basis collecting a non refundable deposit (use that deposit to fix any repairs as they come)

I'd have my contract state that the rent to own buyer is responsible for x amount of repairs up to a certain amount. This keeps the buyer in line and you know the home will be better taken care of than it would with a regular tenant.

Plus it makes it easier to rent out again (if the original buyer backed out of the deal)

In the long run you will always make more money renting the home out than you would selling it.

I have 4 homes that I rent out and I've only had to come out of pocket once for a repair and that's because I split the cost with the rent to own buyer.

I set up my contracts (with help of course) so that I don't have to be a 24/hr land lord

working