Is bonsai cruel?

1. visionandfocus profile image72
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

Is bonsai cruel?

If someone gifted you with a bonsai, would you be able to enjoy it?

2. DreamerMeg profile image90
    DreamerMegposted 5 years ago

Yes, I could enjoy it, however, it might not live too much longer!
    I am not sure that it is possible to be cruel to plants. They do not appear to have any way of hearing what you say, although some people suggest that talking to plants or playing them music helps them grow. And although treating them so they become a bonsai means restricting their growth and possibly paring back their roots, this is not necessarily cruel. If they are given space and resources to develop, they very quickly lose the bonsai habit and revert to their normal habit. Plants may get restricted growth in the wild because of drought or where the seed sprouted. They take advantage of whatever living space is available. If only a small space with limited resources is available, then they grow only sufficiently to take advantage of what is available. That is basically what a bonsai is.

3. puregrace profile image67
    puregraceposted 5 years ago

No, it's not...plants don't feel it. They respond to their environment, but not in the way people and animals do. I just like plants to grow naturally and like a freer look. We have to do some trimming, etc., for them to be most healthy and for us to take care of yards, and our homes, and businesses, and I suppose, some like to be very creative and artistic in the way they design their surroundings.