jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Ok... what is the fastest way to remove old caulk from around your bathtub...

1. drumweaver profile image82
    drumweaverposted 5 years ago

Ok... what is the fastest way to remove old caulk from around your bathtub...

...there has to be a quicker way from how i'm doing it???  ...help please!

2. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

Don't know how you are doing it, but my husband picked up a simple tool (reasonable cost) , an edger of sorts, from Home Depot that sands it all away in minutes.  I have used it on our baseboard caulking and it works well.

3. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

A razor blade scraper if its soft enough, a sharpened putty knife if not . Or a electric scaper device that comes with different blades .

4. Efficient Admin profile image94
    Efficient Adminposted 5 years ago

You can buy some caulk remover at Home Depot or Lowes.  Find out if the caulk you want to remove is either latex or silicon.  Latex caulk remover is easy -- you just squeeze it out of the tube and let it sit on the caulk a few hours and then it comes right off.  I had to do this in my guest bathroom and it was not difficult.

Now silicon caulking is a real challenge to remove.  I had to do this in my master bathroom.  I am not sure but I think you have to use rubbing alcohol and then scrap it off.  I hired a handyman to do this dirty work.  If you go to one of the home improvement stores, ask the sales clerk about removing silicon caulk -- they may have something new on the market now to remove it easily.

working