jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Do you prefer a wood burning fireplace or gas logs?

1. mvillecat profile image80
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

Do you prefer a wood burning fireplace or gas logs?

We have our wood ready for many cozy fires this winter season.

2. fancifulashley profile image75
    fancifulashleyposted 5 years ago

I prefer a wood burning fireplace. There is no replacement for putting the log in the fire, hearing the wood crackle and sizzle if it is a bit too wet, and smelling the wood burning. I have been in homes with the gas logs and, while it may be less work to maintain and heat a space, it does not contribute the same ambiance to a room.

mvillecatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I fully agree. I may would consider a gas fireplace in a bathroom but for the rest of the house wood burning is the option. Thanks for commenting.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Wood burning. There is a difference in the scent and I love that smell so much.

I agree. Thanks for commenting.

4. The Dirt Farmer profile image96
    The Dirt Farmerposted 5 years ago

Wood burning, definitely! The smell, the crackle--it makes cold days snuggly, not just warmer.

Everything you listed is the reason why we bought our home with a real fireplace. Thanks for commenting.

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Neither:
    Living in the south, a fireplace is used on average three time a year. The times I have been in homes with fireplaces, watching the crackling logs, I could never get comfortable.

Maybe it does not set the mood that many people want, but I will take central heat any day that is controlled by a thermostat. Also, I do not want the responsibility of chimney maintenance which is required.

Also, the environmentalist complain about trees being used for fuel. Natural gas is abundant and on a BTU basis probably cheaper than buying firewood.

They are a bit of work and we use only wood that has been taken from my in-laws property (dead trees mostly). We too live in the South (Georgia) but our old home gets cold enough for a cozy fireplace.

6. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Hi mvillecat:)    I love flames in the hearth and will happily go with either. Burning wood is causing air pollution problems in some areas, and new homes are required to have gas logs.  We have a wood burning fireplace w/ a gas starter, so it could be easily converted. I love the smell and crackle also, but most of all, I love the smoky smell that drifts through the air on brisk nights- It is one of my favorite sensory memories from childhood.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image97
      cat on a soapboxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wish you an upcoming holidaty season of warm and cozy gatherings around your lovely fireplace. smile

2. mvillecat profile image80

Thanks cat!! You too. I loved your description of your memories. Very nice.

7. fatfist profile image77
    fatfistposted 5 years ago

I have an electric fireplace with simulated fire and other special effects. Ever since I insulated my house it became unbearable to use a fireplace for heating purposes. So I had to install an electric one. Proper insulation & draft sealing makes fireplaces obsolete.

We have a small electric stove with those "special effects" in our guest bedroom. It will run you out of there from the heat it produces. My mom loves to use it when she visits as it makes her feel cozy.

8. relawshe profile image73
    relawsheposted 4 years ago

I love gas for the convenience of use, and perhaps it's a bit "safer" because you're not inhaling all that ash & smoke in the air, but the sight and sound of real wood logs burning reminds me of a campfire and how they did it in the good-old days, so I'm torn on this issue.

working