jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What are some 'best places' in the U.S. to retire on $1100 a month?

1. JimTxMiller profile image77
    JimTxMillerposted 5 years ago

What are some 'best places' in the U.S. to retire on $1100 a month?

We're going to leave old Texas soon, escaping the increasingly harsh summers. We're leaning strongly toward the Pacific Northwest, Washington or Oregon. I would like to hear other opinions about great places in the lower 48 for two people to live on combined Social Security base income of $1,100 a month.

2. KDeus profile image95
    KDeusposted 5 years ago

When I first read your question (with the further details), I was going to suggest Florida. The property values are still sadly ridiculously low (good for those looking, bad for us homeowners); however, that would definitely not solve the increasingly harsh summers issue you're trying to escape!

My aunt lived in Bend Oregon and she really liked the area. When I visited, it was beautiful. I don't know what the cost of living is there, but from what I remember of the area, it was really nice - she lived there for over 25 years.

1. Annie Miller profile image76
      Annie Millerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

KDeus we are thinking of moving back to the Pacific Northwest. I lived there for most of my adult life and it is darn near perfect. Unfortunately, the influx of Californians has raised property values inordinately.

2. KDeus profile image95
      KDeusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Annie, I've only ever spent a few weeks in Bend with my Aunt, but it did seem like it was close to perfect! I can completely understand wanting to get away from the heat. I'm from PA transplanted to FL and I'd give anything in a heartbeat to go back!

3. JimTxMiller profile image77
      JimTxMillerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, KD, the Gulf states are out of the running based on climate. I've yet to meet a place in Oregon I didn't like. The Bend region is a strong contender. Thanks for your answer!

working