jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is privacy worth sacrificing for security?

1. dailytop10 profile image93
    dailytop10posted 3 years ago

Is privacy worth sacrificing for security?

We had a long discussion yesterday about the placement of security cameras in our office. We all agree that they are must haves but having them inside the comfort rooms might be below the belt. Some of us, including me, insisted that placing cameras there is an assault to privacy. Why not place them near the doors like the usual? What are your thoughts?

2. HenryQuiles profile image80
    HenryQuilesposted 3 years ago

One of my favorite quotes ever answers your question quite well. Ben Franklin stated " Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither"

As for cameras in private quarters like break rooms and bathrooms. I say no. But they will do as they please, most likely.

3. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I think putting them in every single area of space goes way overboard, and depending on where they're placed, can be an assault on privacy. And honestly, wanting to ogle employee movements at every moment sounds tyrannical at best and pervy at worst!

4. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I think our obsession with "security" has been way over board for a while. If it is private companies doing it I wonder sometimes what their true motives for. I so not understand your company's thought about placing them inside the offices. Do they not trust their employees at all? If that is the case then maybe the HR department or hiring manager needs to be fired and someone who is capable of picking trust worthy employees should be hired. When it comes to our government it is all about controlling the population with fear and "rescuing" us to show their controlling is warranted.

5. Lowdown0 profile image82
    Lowdown0posted 3 years ago

No, when our privacy goes so do our rights. And there is no security gained, only control, who is going to secure us from those who are providing the security? Cause they are the ones who caused the problems in the first place, so they could implement this so called security, which is merely control.