jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why are two of my hydrangeas are not producing flowers?

1. profile image60
    Patti Delucaposted 2 years ago

Why are two of my hydrangeas are not producing flowers?

Last year all three of my hydrangeas produced no flowers. This year one has no flowers, one has a couple flowers that look like they didn't develop all the way and the third one is doing good. I have not cut any of the wood back. The hydrangea with no flowers was so small when I first planted it, and it produced one white flower which was as big as the bush. The 2nd year it did better and the flowers were blue(I loved the blue). The 3rd year I moved it over a couple feet but it didn't flower. This is the 5th or 6th year and still no flowers.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12526703_f260.jpg

2. cat on a soapbox profile image98
    cat on a soapboxposted 2 years ago

Hydrangeas bloom on the previous year's growth. If the bush was cut back too much , it may not produce flowers this year. You might try feeding it a super bloom fertilizer with high phosphorus like Grow More Hawaiian Bud & Bloom 5-50-17, but it may be too late. Good luck:)

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

In the south this year, many of us are not getting flowers.  The last frost may have come too late when the blooms were already forming.  The year after you move them, they often do not bloom.  Late next winter try composting or fertilizing them and maybe next year you'll get your blooms.  Good luck!

1. profile image60
      Patti Delucaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I will try that.

4. Patrina Breau profile image59
    Patrina Breauposted 2 years ago

The best answer can be found at Gardening Know How: "When your hydrangea won’t bloom, it is because of the species of hydrangea you have planted. Some of them grow flowers off of new wood and some of them will grow flowers off of old wood. If your hydrangea won’t flower, then you need to figure out if this is the variety you have planted."

working