jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What is the best way to separate these plants?

1. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 3 years ago

What is the best way to separate these plants?

I can't seem to get my hydrangeas to grow in width but they shoot straight up.  Now, I noticed a rose bush has grown into one of the hydrangeas.  I know I need more acidic soil for the hydrangeas.  I think I can force the rose bush to grow away from the Hydrangea, but just wondering if I should just replant the hydrangeas. Anyone have any ideas?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12401488_f260.jpg

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 3 years ago

Yes I would separate them but not before fall and a good cold snap. Of course the acid in the hydrangea also determines the color I suppose you already know. Pink to blue is easiest. If they are not too big you could put them in big pots to control the color better. I have huge trees in pots still and they are doing fine but plan to get them all in the ground this fall.
    Mom loved those! Hope it works out for you.

1. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jackie.  I can't believe I have just now noticed this had happened!  That is a good idea about the pots.  They bloomed beautifully the first year and now ... not sure what happened. Soil must not be right.  Bless you

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Just lean them against the back of your garage or something after you put them in pots (not the roses) to have a little more protection  & good drainage but still will get enough moisture that they need. I like doing that against a hard freeze.

3. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I will do that, Jackie.  Thank you!  I know you are an expert gardener no doubt from looking at your amazing photos and all.  Bless you

3. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

Simply get a short spade/shovel and find the complete roots of each plant. Go around between each plant and divide, carefully, but quickly with that spade/shovel held straight up and down. Replant all 3 immediately where your new spots are.
    Have mulch and a some water on hand. Place some mulch in each hole and save some to pat down on top after planting. Water slightly every day for about 2 weeks. Then increase water to normal.
    I did this a few times when I had a garden yard. They came out fine.

working