jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What's the longest time you've kept a houseplant?

1. Ann810 profile image80
    Ann810posted 16 months ago

What's the longest time you've kept a houseplant?

The houseplant I have is older than 2 of my children.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13218593_f260.jpg

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 16 months ago

The plant shown here, the pothos, I've had for over 25 years. It's needed re-potting a couple of times, but has always thrived. My Ficus bejamina are also over 20 years old.

1. Ann810 profile image80
      Ann810posted 16 months agoin reply to this

That's good to know, because when I chose the plant, I wanted it to last long. But I didn't know it would last as long as it is. I water the plant nearly daily, it gets sunshine light from the windows. This plant has never been put in direct sun.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Few houseplants like direct sun. If your plant is happy, that's what matters. I water mine well about once, maybe twice a week.

3. Rangoon House profile image81
    Rangoon Houseposted 16 months ago

I can't personally claim your astounding success with houseplants, but I lived overseas with a family in 1981, and they still have houseplants from the original one that was in my bedroom all those years ago.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 16 months agoin reply to this

These are really the only houseplants I've had that have done well. The key to success w/ the ficus is continuity of light and water and environment; otherwise, it will drop leaves.

2. Rangoon House profile image81
      Rangoon Houseposted 16 months agoin reply to this

I'm sure we are talking about the same plant - it obviously works!

3. Ann810 profile image80
      Ann810posted 16 months agoin reply to this

People that wish they had a green thumb, should definitely try caring for a house plant that has the potential to last 20 years.

4. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 16 months ago

Houseplants run away from me. The best success I ever had with one was an air plant, but it didn't make it. They're easy they said. You'll have it a long time they said. Ha. It might have been too lonely since we weren't often home then, but I might try that plant again one day.

5. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 16 months ago

My father has one of those plants approaching 20 years old.

working