How do I solve the damp walls in my house. Can I drill holes into old wall for v

1. profile image61
    Bjorn in Chinaposted 10 months ago

How do I solve the damp walls in my house. Can I drill holes into old wall for ventilation?

I live in an old 19th century shopfront house that shares walls on either side with other properties, thus it is impossible to check the exterior wall. I want to ventilate the walls, and drill a series of holes to allow the old mortar and bricks to breathe. Is this advisable? I have a dehumidifier that helps somewhat, but the damp still tends to appear in specific places. I live in the tropical south of China. Would it  work to install a series of small holes in the wall that only penetrate half way through the wall with small extractor fans on each hole? I don't want to drill into next-door.

2. aspiring soul profile image66
    aspiring soulposted 10 months ago

you can use beautiful tiles on your walls, this will solve the issue plus will give a good look to your walls.

3. Terrielynn1 profile image93
    Terrielynn1posted 10 months ago

Never drill into walls if you are not the owner of your building. There is a product called damp rid. Some people use it in their damp basements. It really does work. A dehumidifier is good too, you might need another. There is also a product that you paint on the walls that seals and inhibits mood growth and moisture damage. It's a stain blocker, found at paint or hardware stores.

working